What behavior or activity gives you a greater spiritual boost?

What behavior or activity gives you a greater spiritual boost?

3 Likes

Prayer and adoration

6 Likes

Going to confession and then receiving the Sacrament.

4 Likes

The three holy Easter days and going on a retreat.

2 Likes

Adoration and retreats.

1 Like

Attending and fully engaging and participating in the Mass.

4 Likes

Yes, this works for me as well.

3 Likes

Receiving Eucharist, Adoration, and prayer.

1 Like

Fasting and prayer…

Being polite and nice even when I am in a very bad mood

1 Like

Confession, especially with a very orthodox confessor who isn’t afraid to tell me how serious sin is. And I like getting a tough, somewhat physical penance (fasting, say a decade of the rosary while kneeling on the wooden floor, etc. . .). And I like going to confession in the evening, while the church is nearly empty (although this is rare), and always traditional (behind the screen).

This type of “tangibility” of the sacrament of confession is very spiritually boosting for me. When one merely describes confession as reciting your sins to the priest and receiving absolution, it seems to be a merely verbal action with no actual physical feeling.

But the cramped mustiness of the confessional, hearing the door shut, kneeling on the old kneeler in there, not being able to see the priest, the silence throughout the rest of the church, and performing a demanding penance help connect the severity of my sins to the sacrament and the penance. And I do appreciate the rosary not only as a prayer and devotion, but as a penance when given, because the “tangibility” of the faith is present in feeling the beads, smelling the church, and contemplating the Eucharist or Crucifix in prayer. Blessing with holy water on the way in and out of church, at any time, is also “tangible.”

That is one thing I really love about being Catholic, is the actual tangibility of the sacraments, sacramentals, and devotions which connect us to our faith.

2 Likes

Good post. The tangibility is definitely important, in fact there is a theological component to that too, which I’m sure you are aware of.

I would say constant prayer, (like the Jesus Prayer and Hail Mary) participating in a morning Mass, praying by candlelight at night, confession and of course the most important, partaking of the Eucharist, all give me a spiritual boost.

I say the Eucharist, praying the Rosary and spiritual reading; like The Spiritual Exercises and the Bible. Contemplative prayer.

1 Like

For me It has been the season of Great Lent. Not the frivolous, ‘what are you going to give up for Lent’, but the prayers, the strict fast, which ultimately lead to the Resurrection. Easter morning has been more joyful. That joy lasts throughout the Pentecost season up to and through the Advent season, Christmas and beyond. Until Lent is upon us once again.

2 Likes

Eucharist, rosary, but also living through the lbeauty of the liturgical year… gosh, I missed that during my 20 year protestant wandering.

Lectio Divina and “welcoming practice.”

1 Like

Having quiet time alone if possible,walking,gardening and praying,being appreciative of all that we’ve been given.
When out and about trying to see everyone being so loved equally by God .These are the basics that help as well as mass ,rosary.

3 Likes

Aside from religious activities such as prayer, adoration or Mass, I get the most spiritual benefits working in my flower and vegetable gardens. I am at one with the Creator.

2 Likes

Pray the rosary everyday, on top of various chaplets (like St. Michael’s and Holy Wounds). Also distribute brown scapulars to people and tell them to get enrolled in it. Just last night I got my Grand Knight to be enrolled in our lady’s brown scapular. Nothing more invigorating than watching your leader consecrate himself to the Immaculate Heart of Mary.

1 Like

Confession, weekday Mass, Adoration, Liturgy of the Hours, Bible Study and of course praying through the day.

1 Like

Nice I did an Isaiah 54 fast. And the Holy spirit raised me to a higher level

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.