What best discribes your spiritual direction situation?

If you are not in spiritual direction now but desire to be, what is inhibiting your progress?

I wish I was, however driving the distance I would need to to (hopefully) find an orthodox, experienced SD hasn’t been economically feasible. Probably not being able to find an orthodox, experienced SD is many peoples’ reason for not having SD.

By “orthodox” do you mean “faithful to the magisterium” or Orthodox as in Eastern Orthodox?

I mean faithful to the magisterium. It seems to be not very easy to find nearby.:shrug:

My associate pastor is my spiritual director and confessor. It is very important to me to have his guidance - he helps me grow. I would definitely recommend everyone to have one.

Are looking for folks that have a dedicated Spiritual Director, like a priest? Or folks that seek out spiritual advice and direction from others that they look up to for various reasons?

I don’t know if I understand your question - I will take a shot at an answer - let me know if it makes sense…

I am not asking if folks have someone they get advice from on a spiritual level. What I am asking is how many people are in a regular relationship (usually monthly) with someone who is specifically trained to do “Spiritual Direction” The definition I use can be found here: rcspiritualdirection.blogspot.com/2009/01/spiritual-direction-what-it-is-and-what.html

Just curious - how does your relationship with your associate pastor look in comparison to this post (below)? Would you say that your relationship accurately reflects Father John’s definition of Spiritual Direction or is your experience very different?

rcspiritualdirection.blogspot.com/2009/01/spiritual-direction-what-it-is-and-what.html

Dear friend

I had to reply to this one. I’ve known my spiritual director 20 yrs and I’m still trying to figure a lot of things out so what hope has he got understanding me. Combine this with me being an extraordinarily difficult patient , in that I’m hard to figure out, for him to work with and it can be a painful process at times. But even without the comprehensive understanding from either side it’s been extremely useful and I’m very grateful to him.

I hope he doesn’t kick me out because of my theory the antichrist and last days are here though. If he did this he may be making a mistake. He pointed out I’m not infallible, but I hope he realises he’s not either.

The Holy Spirit speaks often thru your SD and you often get insights and problems go from SDirection. it’s a great gift from God.

God bless:thumbsup::slight_smile:

Yep, answered it completely. Thanks :slight_smile:

Spiritual direction is a specific practice. The director and directee meet regularly, often monthly. It’s different from occasionally consulting someone about a spiritual issue and there’s a sense of it being something long-term. I know today that I will meet with my spiritual director next November, but obviously I have no idea today what we will discuss then.

How does one go about finding Catholic Spiritual Directors in their state?

First, pray. The Holy Spirit is the real spiritual director and will help you find one.

You might start by asking at your parish. Even if your pastor is unable to do it himself he may know of someone else who is available. You might check at retreat houses, monasteries, convents, etc. For some religious orders spiritual direction is part of what they do. In other cases there may be a retired priest or nun who would have time to be able to meet with you.

Scanning quickly through the post above, I would say that is my experience with my spiritual director. For some examples: he isn’t there to make decisions for me but only to guide me, to help me recognize my weakness and my strength, to encourage me and help me think more clearly when I am confused, to face what is real and learn how to deal with it, and to share his life experiences with me so that I may learn from them too. The bottom line - he is helping me follow Christ.

Well said

I haven’t had a spiritual director since 1994. It seems that everytime I find one [preferably a priest], he always gets transferred or has more responsibilities piled on top of him.

I go to the EF Mass now, but the priests who come from outside to say it can’t always stay after Mass to talk to anyone.

Where I live, there are no monasteries or convents. We had religious Order priests a long time ago, but they all go pulled out because of the shortage of vocations.

I think it’s my lot in life to be without a spiritual director…to be alone in this world.

You are never alone :). This is a promise from Jesus:

If you love me, keep my commandments. And I will ask the Father: and he shall give you another Paraclete, that he may abide with you for ever The spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, nor knoweth him. But you shall know him; because he shall abide with you and shall be in you. I will not leave you orphans: I will come to you (John 14:15-18 DRV).

Hmm. That must be very difficult to feel. Have you ever considered correspondence with a religious? This was very common at one time. It might be slow but better than nothing. What part of the country do you live in?

God be present to you…

Amen - even when we don’t feel like it - He is with us.

Perhaps that’s a small hint from the Holy Spirit that you should consider someone other than a priest. Have you asked around to see if someone else might be available? Would you consider driving a distance to see a director if there isn’t someone close by?

And I suppose the other question is whether you need a spiritual director. Maybe you’re doing just fine without one. I don’t know you so I have no idea.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.