What bible translation is my mass leaflet written in?

For example, my mass leaflet uses this translation of Proverbs 8:27

"when he drew a ring on the surface of the deep"

What translation is that?

[web search on “drew a ring on the surface of the deep”]

Universalis says that’s from the Jerusalem Bible, which is used for the readings in Anglosphere countries that aren’t the US. So you must have a UK or Canadian leaflet, I’d guess. Sounds neat!

Thanks! Its a UK leaflet.

Why isn’t the Jerusalem bible on biblegateway.com or biblehub.com? Where can i look and search the Jerusalem bible online do you know?

Copyright issues, I suppose.

I found a PDF version here:

unz.org/Pub/Bible-1966

The 1966 JB is one of my favorite translations. Unfortunately, my wife keeps it stashed in her bedroom, so I don’t get to read it very often :stuck_out_tongue:

It may also be the New Catholic Bible, the official Liturgical Bible of the UK which is the 1966 Jerusalem Bible and the Grail Psalter. My CTS printing of 2007 has the verse exactly as you quoted. :slight_smile:

Translations are interesting. They often speak as much of the person(s) translating as they do of the text itself.

From the Knox translation: "I was there when he built the heavens, when he fenced in the waters with a vault inviolable"

Douay-Rheims: "When he prepared the heavens, I was present: when with a certain law and compass he enclosed the depths"

RSV-CE: "When he established the heavens, I was there, when he drew a circle on the face of the deep"

Revised English Bible: "When He set the heavens in place I was there, when He girdled the ocean with the horizon"

closed #8

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.