What blessing could this be?

After mass today, the feast of our Lady of Lourdes, I saw a priest come to a couple in the pews and he was giving them some kind of blessing, but I’m not sure what it was. They are a couple in our parish, both EMHCs and they do a lot of assisting. The blessing seemed to be taking quite a bit of time and I was curious as to what it could be, as no one else was involved except them. :confused:

Without hearing what was said there’s no way of knowing.

Deacon Ed

It could be anything. I was once talking to the priest after Mass and my brother told him it was my birthday. He immediately blessed me, right there, surrounded by other people not getting blessed. It doesn’t necessarily have anything to do with the Mass itself.

The priest came to them in the pew and I think his stole was placed on the man.

Today is the World Day of the Sick, could it have been the anointing of the sick?

It might have been that, just for this couple who may have requested it. Thanks.:slight_smile:

I have a several times approached our deacon after Mass and asked for a blessing, as I was anticipating some difficulty or other that day. He would always stop and pray for me for a couple minutes and then end with a blessing. So it could have been almost anything that you saw. I have also seen some kind of a marriage blessing done on a couple’s anniversary, right after the Mass for which they offered the intention.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.