What book are you reading? #3

[quote="MJE, post:999, topic:129711"]
Mary Eberstadt, author of The Loser Letters, is a Catholic, a very thoughtful Catholic.

[/quote]

Thank you for clearing that up for me. :)

*Another Day in the Frontal Lobe *
A Brain Surgeon Exposes Life on the Inside
by Katrina S. Firlik

[size=3][FONT=Georgia]Very interesting, though I don't agree with many of her views.
[/size][/FONT]

"Eat, Pray, Love" by: Elizabeth Gilbert.

Many Are Called: Rediscovering the Glory of the Priesthood by Scott Hahn.

I'm going on vacation next week and for spiritual reading I'm taking The Secret of the Rosary by St. Louis de Montfort. :)

Spectacular Sins by John Piper

John Piper delivers powerful biblical reassurances to bolster readers' trust in the sovereignty of God and the supremacy of Christ when evil and tragedy come.

If God governs the sinful acts of men, then does the devastation caused by those terrorists, dictators, murderers, cheats, and abusers discredit Jesus' words: "All authority in heaven and earth belongs to me"? When heart-rending news comes of the latest accident, illness, or natural disaster, can we really believe that in Jesus, "all things hold together"?

Though God has not answered all of our questions about sin and suffering, there are things he wants us to know, things he declares in his Word-such as what's at stake in the "spectacular" sins of others and the horrible tragedies of this life; their global purpose, both historically and today; and what these events say to us personally.

As John Piper works through these biblical truths, this book will bolster readers' trust in the utter sovereignty of God such that they'll be less timid in their witness and less afraid of whatever may come. It is also a joy-infused declaration that because everything occurs through Christ and for Christ and his glory, they are forever secure in him.

Comments:

"When it comes to holocausts or other horrors, most of us assume God has his hands tied and his back to the wall. We figure the devil wreaks havoc when God's not looking; we rationalize the Lord's 'mistakes,' figuring he absentmindedly took his hands off the wheel when tragedies happen. But John Piper paints a different picture from the pages of Scripture that will strengthen your heart, bolster your faith, and deepen your understanding of the 'largeness' of God's sovereignty."
Joni Eareckson Tada, Founder, Joni and Friends International Disability Center

"I had to read this book twice. The weighty truths about the sovereign wisdom and power of God unpacked in these pages created in me an overwhelming feeling of gratitude and ultimate safety. To be reminded of his might over everything is priceless, and I don't think I'll ever be able to preach the same again."
Matt Chandler, Lead Pastor, The Village Church, Highland Village, Texas

"Pastors, make sure your people read this book! I know of no one who has so clearly addressed the relationship of man's sin and God's sovereignty as John has done in Spectacular Sins."
Randy Pope, Pastor, Perimeter Church, Duluth, GA

"Spectacular Sins and Their Global Purpose in the Glory of Christ. Wow! Spectacular and sin! I've never seen those words together before. And who but John Piper could so brilliantly weave them into the same lyric as the global, purposeful glory of Christ! This man never ceases to inspire me to be more awestruck with the supremacy of Jesus."
Chris Tomlin, Recording Artist, Song-writer and Lead Worshiper

Works of Love Are Works of Peace: Mother Teresa of Calcutta and the Missionaries of Charity

Finally reading Dead in the Family by Charlaine Harris. It’s book 10 in the Sookie Stackhouse series. I read the first 9 books, plus the book of short stories, in about 1 month. I had to wait another month though. I was on a list at the library for it, and when I signed up I was like number 23.

The Scions of Shannara by Terry Brooks

Over the summer I read "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein. Truly one of the most enjoyable books I have read in a very long time.

You will not be disappointed.

Still waiting for the release of Peter Kreeft's new novel. It was supposed to be released mulitple times by now and the times just keep expiring.

Maybe this is common for book releases?

Currently reading:

The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand
and
Lord of the Flies

I have just started reading** ‘The Case for God’** by Karen Armstrong.
A brilliantly argued and deeply-researched work.
God Bless,
Colmcille.:slight_smile:

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle.

God bless

I haven’t heard good things about Armstrong but to be honest I have not read any of her works. Would you say that her book was orthodox?

God bless

To Save a Thousand Souls : A Guide for Discerning a Vocation to Diocesan Priesthood

[quote="Roman_Catholic, post:15, topic:210220"]
I haven't heard good things about Armstrong but to be honest I have not read any of her works. Would you say that her book was orthodox?

God bless

[/quote]

That is NOT very reassuring. My mother picked up "A History of God" for me as a Christmas present. Unfortunately I haven't gotten around to reading it, in part because it deals with Judaism, Christianity, and Islam and I've learned to not read into anyone else's opinions or "research" until I've read that particular faith's holy book for myself.

At the very least, I want to have read the Qu'ran to have some exposure to Islam by Islamic sources to serve as a foundation to gauge whether or not the author knows what she's talking about or is taking me for a ride.

With that, I might give the Qu'ran a shot. It's been almost 9 or 10 years since I've tried reading it and I think I only got through a third of the way through.

Well, maybe after two more books. After having finished the Catechism of the Catholic Church second edition, I plan on taking a brief hiatus from religious studies and plan to read "Nudge" by Cass Sunstein, and then "The 5000 Year Leap".

Compass Points by Margaret Silf

The Druid of Shannara by Terry Brooks

I recently began reading "For All the Saints?" by N.T. Wright. The author is an Anglican bishop who has written a lot about the Resurrection of Our Lord. However, in this short book he discusses the christian idea of heaven and the afterlife, but I noticed some distortions of Catholic beliefs. For example, he says that Purgatory is a soley Catholic belief and that it is a late innovation, but I understood that the Orthodox and some Anglicans, such as C.S. Lewis, believed in a purification after death even though they might not use the word "Purgatory."

I don't know if I'm going to finish the book now.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.