What book(s) are you reading?

I really liked that one, too. And I originally heard of it here on CAF.

I do have spiritual books to read but decided I haven’t read any good fiction lately. I have a HUGE list of books (spiritual/religious and non spiritual) on Pinterest. I went down the list and got o Amazon and ordered 17 books. They should be coming in soon so hopefully I’ll do some fiction reading soon. My reading interest comes in waves. I pick up one of my spiritual books and read a bit then switch it out for another one.

Just started the “Haunting of Hill House” by Shirley Jackson

1 Like

Actually just finished 2 fiction books and they were both great: “Cocoa at Midnight”. .and “Agnes Hopper Shakes up Sweetbriar”. Both so good I think I read them both in 3 days. I started “Summer hours at the Robbers Library”. It’s one I put down and read off and on again. Next will be a mystery “The Cemetery Club”.

I’m attempting the Wheel of Time series to up my nerd cred and in honor of the upcoming television show. I’m currently just a bit into The Dragon Reborn. Before that I read Crazy Rich Asians, just to see what the hype was.

1 Like

I can tell you that one book I am no longer reading is Atlas Shrugged. I gave it every chance I could, read it in bits and pieces… got about halfway through, then threw up my hands and said “I can’t take this anymore”. So much excruciating detail that Ayn Rand comes across as having had Asperger’s or something (which she may have had for all I know). I would take it to my son’s carpool for the evening school run after I retired, sit there and read it while I waited for the bell, and I finally just laid it down and never picked it back up again. Too much. Great book, I just don’t have the attention span for that kind of ordeal. (I refer to literary merit, not whether it accords with a Catholic worldview or not. It clearly doesn’t.)

In this forum several years ago, someone mentioned Charlize Theron as a possible Dagny Taggart for a movie adaptation. Absolutely! I can see that.

Just finished The Axe by Sigrid Undset and Barely a Crime by Robert Ovies. Finishing Ulysses by James Joyce.

The Cherubinic Wanderer by Angelus Silesius.

Karl Keating - Booked for Life: The Bibliographic Memoir of an Accidental Apologist.

He discusses 25 apolegetic books which inspired and influenced him.

2 Likes

Wheel of Time is going to have a TV show??

Raymond Arroyo’s Will Wilder series.

“On Faith…
Lessons From an American Believer”
by Antonin Scalia

Wonderful!

Amazon has purchased the rights. Production is supposed to start this fall.

That’s great. I love those books.

I’m reading both St Teresa of Avila’s autobiography and St John’s Ascent of Mt Carmel. They go together very well, each highlighting and enhancing the other, which I suppose shouldn’t be surprising. The Spanish mystics really speak to me.

“Snobbery and violence” an Edwardian mystery

I just finished the Study Havamal and I’m currently reading 'Hanuman: The Devotion and Power of The Monkey God’ by Vanamali.

1 Like

Saint John Paul the Great: His Five Loves by Jason Evert

Finishing Till We Have Faces by C.S. Lewis

1 Like

The city of God by Mother Mary of agreda the end times as revealed to Maria valtorta and the signs of Life by Scott Hahn

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.