What books are on your 'to read' list?

Maybe I’m the only person here that makes a ‘To Read’ list, but if other people actualy do this to, please share what you are planning on reading.
Heres my current list:

1. Crime and Punishment (currently reading actually)
  2. Mansfield Park
  3. The Last of the Mohicans
  4. Les Miserables
  5. Tales from the 1001 Arabian Nights
  6. The Illiad
  7. The Odessey
  8. Emma
  9. Age of Innocense
  10. Gone with the Wind

As you can tell I’m very into classics.

Since I am always reading, I don’t have a To Read list. There are some books I am looking forward to reading, but right now I **am **reading:

Lord of the World by R.H. Benson
The Court of the Last Czar by Greg King
Beau Crusoe by Carla Kelly

I have a a couple books waiting in line:

1. Jesus of Nazareth by Pope Benedict XVI
  2. Pierced by a Sword by Bud Macfarlane
  3. Brother Odd by Dean Koontz
  4. Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers by J.R.R. Tolkien (after I finish Fellowship of the Ring which I’m currently reading).

Brother Odd is not quite as good as Odd Thomas, but I really enjoyed it. I loved the dig that Dean Koontz gave The DaVinci Code in the book. You’ll recognise it when you see it.

It’s probably a couple hundred items long. I have a worrying tendency to get more books than I have time to read – everything from classic sci-fi to chemistry textbooks (yes, I plan eventually to snuggle up with a mug of cocoa and read about valence shells and chemical reactions, I’m trying to make up for my awful college chem classes that I’ve blocked most memories of) to Dickens to the Thousand and One Nights and more.

I’m reading Chris Abani’s The Virgin of Flames right now, and it’s excellent.

The only 2 for sure right now are:

Captain Blood by Rafael Sabatini
Robinson Crusoe by Daneil Defoe

I also hope to add in Huckleberry Finn before the summer is over. I told my daughter I was going to try to read 8 books before she went back to school. All of them have to have pirates involved in some way. I’m on #2, with a month and a half to go. It’s not looking good for me.

I have a ton of books at home that I’ve never read that I want to get to eventually. Most of them are modern action novels. Nothing really profound, but there are several classics in there that I want to get to.

Yes, the first was Odd was excellent, I liked *Forever Odd *also. I’ll keep an eye out for that part. Koontz is always good, IMO.

Summa Theologia (on vol. 1 now)
St. Augustine’s City of God
Re-read his "Confession"
Scott Hahn’s Lamb’s Supper
others of Hahn’s
Mary at the Foot of the Cross (forgot author)
More of Hilaire Belloc
Any Early Fathers I can get my hands on (newadvent.org has many)

reading now

Les Miserables
Siddhartha

just read

Far From the Madding Crowd
The Chosen ( a many-multiple read, along with all Chiam Potok books)
a book about Pope BenedictXVI, by somebody who works with Vatican Radio…not entirely complimentary on him, but with a lot of interesting “inside” views and stories. With a big grain of salt, very interesting.
IMHO:)

I have read and enjoied these from ya’lls lists:
Siddhartha, The Illiad and The Odessey :thumbsup: :thumbsup: for them all

My current reading list is:
Bless Me Father For I have Sinned
Reasons to believe
Handbook for today’s Catholics
The How to Book of Catholic Devotions

I want to read:
Early Christian Doctrines
The Truth of Catholacism
Jesus of Nazareth
Good News about Sex and Marriage

Just to name a few…

Only a couple of hundred ? :slight_smile:

Calvin’s Commentary on Daniel
The Children of Hurin (the “new” Tolkien)
Most of the “History of Middle Earth” series
Gibbon’s Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire
Walter Miller’s "A Canticle for Leibowitz"
Chang & Halliday’s life of Mao
Randall Zachmann’s "The Assurance of Faith"
Philip Mansel, "Constantinople"
Caroline Finkel, “Osman’s Dream"
Bultmann’s Commentary on John
Barth’s Church Dogmatics
St. Athanasius on the Incarnation
St. Irenaeus Against Heresies
"The Case Against Q”
"Free From All Error"
The anti-Pelagian writings of St. Augustine
Luther’s Commentary on Galatians
"An Antonio Gramsci Reader"
Catholic Social Teaching and the Market Economy

If I read all the books I hoped to, I would have little time for anything else. I have just finished reading “The Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner” - which, despite the title, is a (19th-century) psychological novel: & a gripping one at that. (“Osman’s Dream” is a history of Ottoman Turkey from 1300 to 1923.)

Just now I am reading:
[LIST]
*]Luther’s “On the Bondage of the Will”
*]Thomas Boston’s “Human Nature in its Fourfold State”[/LIST]Time for something Catholic, perhaps :slight_smile: - like “The Catholic Controversy”, by St. Francis de Sales.

Right now, Harry Potter #7, but that will take me all of about 1/2 a day once I get it. Then I think I’m going to re-read The Story of a Soul and the I Believe in Love.

Those are just the ones I actually own but haven’t gotten to reading yet.

They’re mocking me, I can tell.

The last Harry Potter book- Deatly Hallows starting around 1 am tomorrow!

Did you have to camp out to buy it? On the news, I saw lines of people who had been in line over night…

Half a day, huh? Do you know that I have read each of the Harry Potter books out loud to my kids. It takes days and days, and I always end up with a hoarse voice because I can always be talked into reading “just one more chapter.” Yeah right.
:rolleyes: I always have to avoid the temptation of reading ahead on my own too, since that would be sort of like cheating on my kids I think. I know they agree. It’s more fun to read it for the first time together.

Now the challenge is going to be to keep my 16 yo daughter away from it while we wait for my 13 yo son to get back from summer camp tomorrow.

DH went about 2:00 pm on Saturday to Wal-Mart and got it for me. Said they had plenty.

Well it actuall took me from 3 pm to 10:30 pm on Saturday afternnon, and that was taking about a 1 1/2 to 2 hr break to eat supper.

That’s sweet that you’ve read all of them to your kids. I have to say though, I’d be like them wanting “one more chapter”!!:stuck_out_tongue:

Once I started reading it I couldn’t put it down. Its been the same way with all the Harry Potter books.

I got home with the book around 1 am, read until about 3 am, slept until 10 am, got up, and read on and off until 1:45 am. I finished the book in 25 hours total. I didn’t get much housework done, but I managed to keep the kids alive while I read it!:wink:

If you don’t mind e-books check out Project Gutenberg. They have tons of reading material.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.