What books have most influenced your spiritual development?

And how have they done so?

“Mere Christianity” and “Orthodoxy” because they helped me realize that Christianity is a cogent worldview.

What were you before you were Christian?

Agnostic.

Theology and Sanity by Frank Sheed. It helped make so much sense to me of all the doctrines of the faith, especially concerning the nature of God.

Introduction to the Devout Life by Francis De Sales really changed my prayer life, especially the meditations in the beginning. They’re short and to the point, but powerful. I like that style.

The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis though was probably the first book that really woke me up to the spiritual realities around me and got me focusing more on actually living my faith. There’s so many “ouch that sounds just like me.” moments in that short little book it’s amazing. I’ve gone back to it multiple times and still find something new in it every time. Great book.

There’s more, but these are probably my top three.

Katya’s (Catalina’s) writings - youshallbelieve.com/jesus-messages/english-2/

Read the first booklet ‘The Holy Mass’ or ‘In Adoration’ or ‘The Stations of the Cross’ … infact all of them and you will see. :slight_smile:

The Imitation of Christ…it fit in my back pocket…and I read it at work and couldn’t put it down…still refer to it from time to time…also currently discerning becoming a lay oblate of St. Benedict so I am studying the Rule…PAX

:popcorn:
Cool suggestions here. Bravo!
To be honest with you, none so much so far.
Or should I say, all so much so far.
Maybe that’s why I’ve not much spiritual development.
I like to write but I dislike reading.
I find audio on the iPod more tolerable.
Audio this or audio that. It fills the empty spaces.
A poor sinner asks you:
“You left catholicism for what?”
You belong here not there :slight_smile:
All you ever wanted to learn about catholicism but were afraid to ask:
therealpresence.org/archives/MP3/MP3.htm
+
Immaculata, welcome and refresh more poor sinners. Amen. Alleluia.

Autobiography of a Soul (Therese of Lisieux)
Introduction to The Devout Life (Frances de Sales)
Abandonment to Divine Providence (Jean Pierre du Caussade)

My first Book Explaining God was “God Loves Laughter” - This was a great read and it lead me to Read “Thief in the Night” to which I found absolutely Mind Blowing!

Thief in the Night gives a very comprehensive Answer to the long asked Question about “The Return of Christ”.

I then read “Release the Sun” and this was very a moving and extraordinary Story.

These book were by William Sears and I highly recommend them to all peoples of the Earth :wink: :thumbsup:

amazon.com/Thief-Night-Case-Missing-Millennium/dp/085398008X

amazon.com/God-Loves-Laughter-William-Sears/dp/0853980195/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_y

amazon.com/Release-Sun-Story-Prophet-Herald-Extraordinary/dp/1931847096/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_z

God Bless and Regards Tony

I have read sooo many books over the years. but I think “The Faith of the Early Fathers” by Jurgens, have helped me sooo much. (three volumes) I used them to help teach my High School CCD class. They gave us the foundation for Christ’s Church and what we believe today, even at the cost of their lives. God Bless, Memaw

Carlo Carretto’s many books, but especially “Letters from the Desert” and “The Desert in the City”.

Ooooooo… thanks for the question!

Here’s my list: Apologia Pro Vita Sua, St. John Newman; The Dark Night Of The Soul, St. John of the Cross; Divine Mercy In My Soul, St. Faustina; Confessions, St. Augustine; Seven Story Mountain, Thomas Merton; The Bible, God.

I could go on, as I have quite a few books and have a little obsession, errrr, hobby of reading. I love books and I read my way into to the Church.

Glenda

The Imitation of Christ helped me to see how we can be holy when dealing with people or situations that are a test of one’s patience. :stuck_out_tongue:

St. Therese: Story of a Soul was turned into a movie, and watching it was the biggest thing that influenced my spiritual life. I had been fascinated with the lives of the saints as a child, but I never really understood the purpose of their suffering. The movie really showed how much Therese loved God (even through her suffering), and that made a big impact on my former views of love. Later, I read her autobiography and was still impressed by her great love.

Right now I am reading the In Conversation with God series, and its really taking me deeper into living the gospel through virtue and reflection on the life of Christ. I tried to get my mom to read it, but she found it too complex, so I might try and find one of St. Josemaria Escriva’s books for her; probably The Way or Furrow. I think she would enjoy those.:o

For me,

“Introduction to the Devout Life” St Francis De Sales
“Frequent Confession” Benedict Baur

And several inspirational books on saints like “The Cure of Ars” by Abbe Trochu.

Apologia Pro Vita Sua by John Henry Newman.

At the time I bought the book (it was on special at the book store) I was exploring Catholicism but had not yet made a commitment to convert.

Reading the book erased all doubts from my mind because Newman explained so well how the Catholic Church is, in fact, the Church that Christ founded, as well as addressing many of the doubts he initially had about the Catholic Church (which I also shared at the time) and how he came to accept them.

Incidentally I wonder if God gives posthumous credit to John Henry Newman for winning souls for the Church?

“The Sayings of the Desert Fathers” and “The Dialogue” by St. Catherine of Siena.

It was after these that I believed in the Real Presence of the Eucharist and the final reason why I stopped believing in Protestantism.

“Practice of the presence of God” Brother Lawrence, simple devotion to G-d
“The Crucified Life” A.W. Tozer, Total devotion to G-d
“Jesus for President” Shane Claiborne, re-affirmed by belief in nonviolence
“Ascent of Mount Carmel” St. John of the Cross, change my views on what my spiritual life should look like

These books helped me learn about exactly what the Church teaches and why and helped me put aside a lot of misunderstanding that I had and also helped me to love and appreciate the Catholic Church:

The Catechism of the Catholic Church, The Privilege of Being Catholic by Father Oscar Lukefahr, CM, Do I Have To Go? 101 Questions about The Mass, The Eucharist and Your Spiritual Life by Matthew Pinto and Chris Stefanick
and Jesus-Shock by Peter Kreeft.

These books helped me learn about the Holy Spirit and how to pray:

The Book of Psalms, Sober Intoxication of the Spirit, Part Two, Born Again of Water and the Spirit by Raniero Cantalamessa, OFM. CAP, Interview with an Exorcist by Fr. Jose Antonio Fortea and Search and Rescue, How to bring your family and friends into or back into the Catholic Church by Patrick Madrid.

Josh McDowell
More than a carpenter
made me take Christianity seriously

Jimmy akin fathers knows best and Scott Hahn Rome sweet home
Made me take the Catholic Church seriously

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.