What Books should I read for Advent

• St. Joseph’s Baltimore Catechism No. 2
  • The Lives of the Saints

0 voters

I plan on doing a serious fast for Advent, including fasting from the internet except for emails. I plan on restricting my reading to mostly the Bible. The books I will be reading apart from the Bible include The Glories of Mary and St. Faustina’s Diary for mental prayer, as well as The Ways of Mental Prayer by Rt. Rev. Dom Vitalis Lehodey.

I want to add one more book to the list to read for Advent, and I’m considering two options here. The First one, is the St. Joseph’s Baltimore Catechism No. 2, I was advised by someone elsewhere a longtime ago, to go back to the basics when it came to forming my conscience, and read the St. Joseph’s Baltimore Catechism. I read through the first one last Summer, and am now on No. 2, however I haven’t been reading it at the moment as I been recently busy with other things. The Second book, I have been considering reading is The Lives of the Saints, I had recommended repeatedly last summer, to look into and study the examples of the Saints, and have been trying for some time to get a copy of The Lives of the Saint, and read it, it was only this Autumn that I was able to finally get one.

So which book should I read over this Advent? Should I finish reading the Baltimore Catechism, or should I try and start reading The Lives of the Saints?

Please let me know with this poll.

“In Conversation With God” is a year long set of books but the one for Advent is a great daily reading source, “Divine Intimacy”, since e use the Magnificat at our Church we get the Advent “Magnificat Companion for Advent”.

‘The Miracle Ship’ by Brian O’ Hare, available on amazon.com as ebook download onto the kindle app, or paperback purchase

‘The Secret of the Rosary’ by st Louis de Monfort

On the Incarnation by St Athanasius. It’s short and a very poignant defense of the orthodox teaching of the Church on who Christ is.

-Fr ACEGC

closed #6

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.