What can be done about errant bishops?

My brother and sister-in-law are upset with their bishop who isn’t addressing grave liturgical abuses or heretical teachings in his diocese. They were both raised in the faith, their four children go to the parish school, he’s a knight and she’s a catechist. They are good Catholics, but they’re so angry that they are talking about leaving the Catholic Church over it. I don’t know what to say to them any more. Do you have any advice?


These links should be helpful for your sister and brother-in-law. The first will be of particular help for you in speaking to them about what they should do in their situation. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by these links, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Resources:
How to Talk to (and about) a Bishop
Why Doesn’t the Pope Do Something about “Bad” Bishops?
A Crisis of Saints
Problems In the Church

Recommended Reading:
How do I defend priests?
How do I go about questioning my diocese’s liturgical abuses?
Is there a way to contact the Pope?
How to be a good Catholic in the midst of dissent…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.