What can be done with cremation remains?

My wife was recently cremated and has had a funeral mass in her honor. What are my options to put the ashes to rest? Does the church allow disposing ashes in the ocean? I have also had thoughts of encasing the ashes in a memorial stone. It was her wish not to be put in the ground.
Thank you for your assistance.
Denis Charbonneau

From the Order of Christian Funerals:

The cremated remains should be buried in a grave or entombed in a mausoleum or columbarium. The practice of scattering cremated remains on the sea, from the air, or on the ground, or keeping cremated remains on the home of a relative or friend of the deceased are not the reverent disposition that the Church requires. (no. 417)

A columbarium is essentially a niche in a wall at the cemetery. This would appear to be the option that best fulfills your wife’s preferences and Church rules.

May God bless you and bring you comfort during this difficult and sad time for your family.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.