What can be used for Eucharist?

I watched the movie The Ninth Day for a Catholicism course (I definitely liked it).
Lots of symbolism, however one thing caught my eye.
At the end, he has a long sausage cut and presumably shared with the rest of the people there.

So my question is, if in a circumstance (in a prison, etc.) and it is a Sunday or a special time of the year such as Easter where a person would want to partake in the Eucharist, is it possible to use a different food for the Eucharist?

No.

Must be wafers made of wheat and wine made of grapes. There are low gluten wheat wafers made by different orders of nuns that can be used by people with sensitivity to gluten.

Quick question: What about in places like North Korea where they are hidden and cannot get the real thing?

There is also mustum, which is grape juice whose fermentation has been suspended shortly after the process has been started, for alcoholics (for priests at a minimum, I do not know about the faithful). Plain grape juice (without at least a minimum amount of fermentation), however, is invalid material.

From the Code of Canon Law

From the Code of Canon Law

vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/__P3A.HTM

THE RITES AND CEREMONIES OF THE EUCHARISTIC CELEBRATION

Can. 924 §1. The most holy eucharistic sacrifice must be offered with bread and with wine in which a little water must be mixed.

§2. The bread must be only wheat and recently made so that there is no danger of spoiling.

§3. The wine must be natural from the fruit of the vine and not spoiled.

Can. 926 According to the ancient tradition of the Latin Church, the priest is to use unleavened bread in the eucharistic celebration whenever he offers it.

no valid matter = no Eucharist

I don’t recon it maters too much but I noticed that people seem to take this stuff very seriously even among non-Catholics.

I remember one time I volunteered to assist with communion at my Church and we ran out of the stuff that supposed to symbolize the body. I volunteered to get the package of Saltines I had seen in kitchen. My pastor smiled and shook his head and then removed a special package from behind the sanctuary, the same stuff we always use.

I kind felt like a fool, but it got me thinking if Pastor Bill says that the elements of faith only symbolize the body of Christ what does it matter what we use? Those Saltine crackers look a lot like what we use all the time for the body of Christ plus they certainly taste better!

I definitely understand the necessity if it is possible to use what is instructed in the Latin/Eastern rites.
I guess I was just curious under peculiar circumstances of prison and places where it is not allowed, etc.

It doesn’t need to be wafers, just bread.

Amen!

Saltines are basically salted Matzoth. We used matzoth for the Lord’s Supper every Sunday when I belonged to the Southern a capella “churches of Christ” The problem with matzos and saltines is that they are very messy and split to hundreds of crumbs.

For people who believe that the Eucharist is the real body of Christ the mess from all the crumbs is disrepectful. I believe that the Holy Eucharist is the real body of Our Lord and not just symbolic.

I got to say I think you are right about those saltines or matzos things being messy. After we serve communion I always notice a bit of a mess of crumbs around the service table and it’s just not right.

I can’t say I don’t know too much about these Latin rites but my brother Henry served a short time in prison and I tell you that he never once expressed any concern about what was served as Communion. Henry isn’t feeling too well right now but if I get a chance I will ask him if anything was done for Communion while he was locked up.

From what I have read saltines could be served in prison with soups and chili. But I think any kind of juice is not served. Apparently the prisoners brew alcohol with it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.