What can I do?

For the record:

I’m 15 and a freshman in high school. This might just be relevant.

Working out my vocation is something I have on my mind a lot.
Lately I’ve been feeling a very strong attraction to a more interior, contemplative life. Prayer and study. The only job I really want to do is teach, and teach theology, and to help save as many people as I can through the people I teach and then through those that they teach. That and to be a father to children that I will raise to a Christian life, along with assisting my wife along the narrow way and of course her assisting me, and knowing how I am whoever she is she’d probably be the dragging me by the ear back to the path of righteousness. :stuck_out_tongue:

What can I do with my life? Are there any secular orders that I may have a vocation to? Are there any saints whose writings might point me in a more realized direction of what I’m getting at?

There are some problems I have. I have strong anxiety issues, not crippling and not always bothering me but they can act up, and I am not socially brilliant by any means, among other things. Such things have led me to conclude I cannot be a priest or religious, I wouldn’t be able to function in a non-secular context, unless it was only for a few days like on a retreat.

Any advice, CAFers? This really gets to me at times. xp

EDIT: Something that has really gotten to me in life is what a joke others make life out to be. I want to flee from the nonsense of the way people act towards God, but I don’t want to abandon them completely, hence my desire to teach. Are there any saints who have had similar experiences?

You know, I am in a very similar situation. I’m 19 and I go to a secular community college, and what I want to do is transfer to a Catholic college and study youth ministry. I help out at a youth group and it seems like the perfect job. So that’s an idea.

Don’t rush yourself. You’re 15 so focus less on nailing down exactly what you want to do with your life and focus more on the things you really enjoy. Spend a few years doing some really intense self examination and then when you get out of high school you can focus down the path of whatever you have really honed in on. Have fun and don’t pass up any opportunities now because they could end up being your life’s calling.

Stay focused on God and you will find a path. Of course this is coming from a 21 year old college student who still hasn’t figured out his own vocation :slight_smile:

Hi Marcus. I began discerning when I was your age. I’m 20 now. First, remember your age. You have plenty of time to discern so treat it like an adventure. Don’t stress over it. Discernment can and should be a fun process.

As for wanting a religious dynamic with marriage, have you investigated third orders?

This particular part confuses me because being a priest doesn’t require you to be “socially brilliant” and neither does religious life. Priests act “In Persona Christi” to offer the sacrifice of the mass, and essentially that is their main function. That does not require social brilliance. There are contemplative orders that focus on just that contemplative prayer, with a minimal of social interaction, hermitages same thing. I say this not to try to sway you either way, but to note that do not be so quick to shut out options for yourself, but rather pray for God’s Grace to lead you where He wants you to be.

With that being said, you are certainly very young, and have many years ahead before you need to make such a decision. Keep living your life, experience all it has to offer, continue developing a deep prayer life, and who knows where you’ll be years from now. Do not get caught up in all the possibilities, just pray to God and you may want to ask for the intercession of St. John Vianney, and/or St. Alphonsus Marie Liguori, Patron Saints of Priest’s and Vocations respectively. And of course I will pray for you as well.

God Bless,
Paul

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.