What can I get my wife for Christmas? Help

I am looking for help, as I have no idea what to get my wife for Christmas. She has given me no ideas so far. Jewelry is not an option, as she does not wear much jewelry. But, I am getting her another charm for her Pandora bracelet. I thought of WII Fit, but she said that she would not use it. She is a new mom, but I have no ideas. God Bless

A spa package immediately comes to mind (massage, pedicure, hairstyle). Is there anything she enjoys that she doesn’t get to do that often? For example, I love hockey and plays, so those are always great gifts for me…

This site has a long, detailed list of “clutter-free” gift suggestions.
flylady.net/pages/ClutterFreeGiftsW.asp

*I agree with Augusta…that’s always a treat. :slight_smile:

Also…does she love to cook? Maybe a nice set of two or three cookbooks, dvd’s of her favorite footnetwork personality, and some wonderful cookware.

Does she enjoy working out? Exercise attire would be a good gift.

Does she enjoy taking bubble baths? A nice fragrant bubble bath, with a fluffy comfy robe to wear afterwards.

Does she enjoy music? An ipod shuffle with an itunes gift card (my kids bought me this for mother’s day a few years ago, and I still love it…still use it when I work out)

Does she need a break from cleaning? Might she appreciate a maid service to come in for a month?

Good luck…! :)*

I suggested a WII Fit, I Phone or Kindle, but she wants something more practical. But she gave me no other suggestions other than a gift cert to get her nails done. She said that she wanted the gift of time, not sure how I wrap that up? She is not a cook, I am the cook in the house. She is a new mom and is terribly busy at work.

*The spa suggestion might be perfect then? Or maybe the housekeeping service, so she has more time to spend with the family, and not on cleaning.

My husband has wrapped gifft certificates in boxes before...it can be fun. :)

Can you call one of her friends and ask if they have any ideas?

Does she have a nice handbag? I've never owned a purse that cost over $50, just can't spend the money on myself. However, I would love it if my DH got me a Coach purse. Of course, he'd have to take one of my girlfriends along with him to pick it out...

...gosh, I hope he's reading this. :p

How about a year of housecleaning from Merry Maids?

Maybe something to build her faith? A Sirrius radio with a subscription, she can listen to 2 Catholic stations plus tons of music and talk.

Amazon has a feature where you can make a wishlist and add anything on the internet to it. My DH has one. There are usually very specific things he wants that I don't have a clue about.

I don't know where you live, but what about tickets to a musical?

Hopefully, you (and all the other husbands lurking out there) will continue to get a lot of input from some married women on this thread. As for me, I’m afraid that I have a hard enough time shopping for my own wife to give you any practical suggestions. :o

(I thought the Wii Fit sounded like a good idea, but from what you say your wife doesn’t seem interested. :shrug: I’m predisposed to immediately affirm any gift suggestion that has anything to do with video games.)

I thought that the WII Fit was perfect but I guess she would just rather spin as a workout. I have bought her expensive handbags and jewelry before, and gift certificates for spa’s before. I wanted to get her something special and different for a change. But it seems that even though we are 31, we have been together 11 years and I have bought or it seems that I have bought her every possible item over the years. I did get her the new Reebok Easy Tone shoes so far.

Ditto any of the “girly pampering” type gifts. Especially if she’s not the type to ever spend the money on that herself.

Gift cert for a really nice dinner out. Again,esp. if she’s not the type to spend, knowing that the meal is already covered will allow her to order what she’s really interested in and ignore the price. Along with the dinner, include a note that you’re covering all the logistics, i.e. making the reservation, lining up a babysitter, picking up the house before the sitter comes if it tends to be messy, etc. A truly stress-free evening out.

If she’s not a huge fashion bug, maybe one of those one-on-one style consults-- not quite a makeover, since they usually don’t focus too much on makeup, but a session with someone who can analyze her best colors (and provide a palette to take away and keep in the purse for shopping) and the best cuts and styles of clothing (and accessories like jewelry) to flatter her figure and work with her lifestyle. I had that done once as a teenager (it was a freebie, a long story for another day) but the whole color palette thing is super-helpful. To this day, it still shapes how I shop for clothing, and it ensures that almost everything in my wardrobe coordinates nicely color-wise.

One more gift cert idea: (another girly-girl thing)-- a cert so she can go out with a couple of friends, or her mom and sisters, to a local tea parlor. We have a local chain called “Lisa’s Tea Treasures,” but they are all over the place. High tea with the little finger sandwiches and biscuits and such. It’s a bit of a splurge, but another nice way to get a break from the routine and get out and relax and chat a bit.

Good luck!

Margaret

[quote="mkipp, post:4, topic:178814"]
I suggested a WII Fit, I Phone or Kindle, but she wants something more practical. But she gave me no other suggestions other than a gift cert to get her nails done. She said that she wanted the gift of time, not sure how I wrap that up? She is not a cook, I am the cook in the house. She is a new mom and is terribly busy at work.

[/quote]

Time? Does that mean she wants you to give her some extra quality time - or put your time in the gift? Why not take her on a trip somewhere quiet where it's just the two of you - or the opposite, something vibrant and exciting, depending on what personality she has?

I wouldn't ignore what she said. It sounds like quite a message.

I feel your pain! My wife and I have not been together for 11 years yet, but we’re more than half way there. :slight_smile: I can definitely understand what you’re going through. It gets to the point where you feel you’ve exhausted every conceivable imaginitive/romantic/practical/spontaneous gift idea and you can only seem to think of the things you have already done before. It’s hard because you desparately want to let your wife know how special she is, so you don’t want to do the same ol’, same ol’. But, at the same time, it seems like there’s a limited number of good ideas. Or maybe it’s just me. :o

I just keep praying for moments of divine inspiration! :o

I don’t know if you’re a writer or not, but have you thought of writing your wife some poetry? A short-story? Maybe a journal of thoughts? A spiritual bouquet? Or maybe some other form of artistic expression? I know it’s more difficult to find the time to do stuff like that when you’re married. I used to be much better at surprising my wife with stuff like that before we were married. Now that we share a roof (not to mention the kids), it’s hard to find time to do that without her asking “What are you doing?”

I will pray for you. Please pray for me, too!

I’m still brainstorming for you! Some *practical *gifts I have received (or wish I would receive):

• deep-clean maid service (I keep the place tidy, but hate scrubbing window sills, etc.)
  • glaceed apricots from Williams Sonoma (my favorite expensive treat)
  • shopping trip with my spouse to pick out practical high-quality basics (like pajamas, socks, and undergarments) to replace some things I’ve worn to tatters but am too cheap to replace for myself
  • If your wife is ever chilly around the house, I suggest slippers by Old Friend (kind of like Ugg, but not as chunky/ugly.) My grandma bought some for me for my birthday last month and I wear them around the clock.

I think that when she means time, it is time to herself and out of the house. She never really gets a brake between the baby and work. I help as much as I can, but she never gets a second alone to herself lately.

You know I was going to post the same idea. Not too many women would turn down a day at the spa. At least if there is one I haven’t met her. :thumbsup:

[quote="Joe_5859, post:13, topic:178814"]
I feel your pain! My wife and I have not been together for 11 years yet, but we're more than half way there. :) I can definitely understand what you're going through. It gets to the point where you feel you've exhausted every conceivable imaginitive/romantic/practical/spontaneous gift idea and you can only seem to think of the things you have already done before. It's hard because you desparately want to let your wife know how special she is, so you don't want to do the same ol', same ol'. But, at the same time, it seems like there's a limited number of good ideas. Or maybe it's just me. :o

I just keep praying for moments of divine inspiration! :o

I don't know if you're a writer or not, but have you thought of writing your wife some poetry? A short-story? Maybe a journal of thoughts? A spiritual bouquet? Or maybe some other form of artistic expression? I know it's more difficult to find the time to do stuff like that when you're married. I used to be much better at surprising my wife with stuff like that before we were married. Now that we share a roof (not to mention the kids), it's hard to find time to do that without her asking "What are you doing?"

I will pray for you. Please pray for me, too!

[/quote]

How about a poem then. It doesn't have to be Shakespeare she'll be happy you made the effort. :D

I’ve been married for over 7 years, but my wife is definitely not a new mom. :smiley:

This is not sarcasm. I actually mean this. Take the shoes back, get her a hallmark card, some chocolates and roses, tell her you aren’t a mind reader, and if she can’t be bothered to confide in you what she wants, let alone figure it out or take the time to think about it, then your efforts are best spent on the new child. Showering kids with gifts qualifies for both mom and kid.

I did that to my wife 3 years ago, and I have never had to figure it out by myself since then. :thumbsup:

Ain’t marriage GRAND?!?!?! :slapfight:

Ah, I see. Well, I didn’t really get it much until I read a piece by an Italian philosopher for… actually a law course (imagine anything more boring and less romantic). He basically took it from the point of view of a human right and yeah, people do need that time they can spend just with God or just with themselves sometimes. Some people need more than others. It can be rather important. I think I’d go insane if I had to divide all my time awake between kids and work. Perhaps hiring a maid or getting your wife a retreat (some people can and will “go to the desert”) might possibly be a better idea than taking her on holiday then… Not sure, though, I’m a single guy and don’t have that kind of experience.

Hey! People should say what they mean (and mean what they say), but we can’t expect people always to be at 100% capacity! Sometimes they have a legitimate need for some guessing and some pampering and they just need someone to pay some special attention for a while. Everyone has such days from time to time. Try to get a tough soldier to admit he’s having a cold and it’s killing his mood (“No, ma’am, everything is fine.” “Yes, ma’am, I am sure.” etc. - I’m sure plenty of wives hear this kind of lines). As long as it doesn’t get out of hand. I may never have been married but I already know plenty enough about women blaming a man for failing to read their mind. On the other hand, they hate it when you’re able to do it, too!

[quote="Sierrah, post:16, topic:178814"]
You know I was going to post the same idea. Not too many women would turn down a day at the spa. At least if there is one I haven't met her. :thumbsup:

[/quote]

Well, I have met her... fortunately the spa refunded the money I spent on the day at the spa for her Birthday and I was able to get her something else for Valentine's day.

The killer was, a neighbor gave her a massage certificate and she begrudgingly went so the neighbor wouldn't feel bad. So sometimes, it's a matter of who is giving the gift, not the gift, itself.

I struggle to get a list each year from DW, myself. "The gift of time" is strangely familiar. Time can be made, but only by the person who wants it. Finding something to help her "find the time" may be in order. Let's see, she works, has a new baby to deal with, and depending on where and what she does, maybe some added stress.

So if the commute is long, how about some inspiring CD's from Catholic Lighthouse Media to listen to on the way? Is she breast feeding? My wife got a foot stool that the top is angled to support her feet as she sat for long periods of time. She also got a book light so she could read while breast feeding. The book might be "What to expect the first year" or something similar. A small "boom box" can also play those CD's while breast feeding or get some soothing music. or, some audio books.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.