What can/should you do on Sundays?

What can/should you do on Sundays?

And what counts as work? Surely cooking, peeling potatoes, printing and stapling stuff doesn’t count as work, right?

Can you play video games, watch TV, use the computer, etc. on Sundays?

The catechism (2185) says only this: "On Sundays and other holy days of obligation, the faithful are to refrain from engaging in work or activities that hinder the worship owed to God, the joy proper to the Lord’s Day, the performance of the works of mercy, and the appropriate relaxation of mind and body.123 Family needs or important social service can legitimately excuse from the obligation of Sunday rest. The faithful should see to it that legitimate excuses do not lead to habits prejudicial to religion, family life, and health.

The charity of truth seeks holy leisure- the necessity of charity accepts just work.124"

This leaves a lot of leeway for each person to discern for his or her own self what is acceptable for Sunday. Playing video games, watching tv, or being on the computer are leisure activities and thus should be fine. However, if they interfere with going to Mass or with spending some time with your family or if they profane the day because they contain violence or impurity, then that’s another thing. Peeling potatoes is fine; after all, we have to eat. Stapling and copying should be okay if it is necessary; for example, if your assignment is due the next day at school and you have no other time to work on it. Don’t get scrupulous about Sunday. Make sure you go to Mass, spend some time with your family, and spend some time relaxing in wholesome ways.

hey thanks for the info— but i do wonder what saint paul ment in romans ch 14

Holy Days and Romans 14:5? - Catholic Answers Forums

forums.catholic.com › Forums › Apologetics › Sacred Scripture‎

If it isn’t saying that observing holy days is optional, what does it mean? … In Romans 14:5, the point seems to be that you should not judge …

What about mowing your lawn if the rest of the week was rainy? How about soaking up the sun, and “seeing just how fast your brother’s boat’ll run” (from a Brad Paisley song “Long Sermon on a Pretty Sunday” youtube.com/watch?v=auU0ftC2DOc)

The Bible I have is the New American Bible and Romans 14:5 says this, “[For] one person considers one day more important than another, while another person considers all days alike. Let everyone be fully persuaded in his own mind.” [size=][FONT=“Comic Sans MS”]The footnotes say this:[/size] “Since the problem to be overcome was humanity’s perverted mind or judgement (Romans 1, 28), Paul indicates that the mind of the Christian is now able to function with appropriate discrimination.” (cf Rom 12, 2[/FONT]
According to the Douay-Rheims online Catholic Bible, Romans 14:5 refers to Jewish Christian converts who were still observing the sabbaths and festivals of the law. But as Catholics we are obligated to observe Holy Days as prescribed by the Church.

As for mowing the lawn on Sunday, the Examination of Conscience that I use says that “Doing unnecessary work on Sunday for a long period of time,i.e., more than several hours” is grave matter. I guess you would have to take it to the Lord in prayer. Is it necessary? Is the grass getting so tall that my neighbors are going to be getting upset? Is there any other day I can mow? If not, can someone else in my family mow another day? Do I enjoy mowing? Do I find riding the lawn mower relaxing/recreational? Is it going to take an hour or all afternoon? Lots of things to consider. There isn’t one answer for everyone, I wouldn’t think.

I have a rather smallish lawn so it seldom takes longer than 1/2 hour to do it. I have a push type electric lawn mower and walking behind it is good exercise for me.

It really doesn’t sound to me like this is anything that would keep you from observing the Lord’s day properly. I still wouldn’t mow on Sunday if I could manage it another day, but if not, I personally don’t see that it’s anything gravely sinful–or even sinful at all.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.