What can the priest and parishioners change about the Mass?

I went to a church earlier this year in England and the whole Mass was in English except for the Our Father which was sung in Latin, never known that before.

Also in that church was only the second time I heard the Gospel sung, the first time was this Easter in my old church with a new priest.

My new church doesn’t use incense at all, other churches I have been to use it at one Mass, I love incense.

I know a lot is set in stone but why sometimes Confiteor and sometimes no Confiteor?

My new church has bidding prayers in midweek Masses which I never knew before.

If a midweek during ordinary time can a priest decide to use the day as a feast day for a saint that has a feast day on that day instead of staying in ordinary time?

Thanks.

Everything you mentioned is a permissible option…language used, sung Gospel, incense, options for the Penitential Rite, Prayers of the Faithful at weekday masses, choice between options on memorial days.

The permitted options for the Mass are found in the Missal, GIRM and Ordo, thus the answer to the title question is in those sources. It would take a very long time to type all that out :blush:

The local community cannot really “change” anything.

Instead, what they can do is to exercise the options given in the Roman Missal—which includes the GIRM and the Calendar norms.

Well, not the Ordo. Most published Ordos are unofficial. They make useful guides but they have no authority except to quote the law.

Unfortunately, sometimes the Ordo editors will add their own personal opinions on things and misrepresent those opinions as being the norms or even recommendations of the Church.

An example of this is that some Ordos claim that there are 2 different shadess of violet, one for Lent and one for Advent. The Church says no such thing.

I would love to have incense at my church.

On the last question about feast days, my daily missal has a section with the mass readings for each saints feast day. In our UK diocese, they tend to have the saints feast day readings, so we learn a little about the saint in question at the beginning of mass and during the homily.

Thanks for clarifying, Father. Come to think of it, I should have known that. Our provincial Ordo is riddled with errors every year, obvious things like instructing the celebration of the Mass for Tuesdays in Advent on a Friday (that happened last year) as well as declaring optional memorials to be obligatory (St. Stanislaus; its status has varied over the past five years of Ordos, sometimes listed as optional, other times as obligatory). I assume these to be unintentional.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.