What can you tell me about Mormon baptisms of the dead?

I have a cousin who has married a mormon and converted to the mormon church (from catholicism). I have done much research into the mormon church, so I have a pretty good idea of what they believe. Recently our grandfather has passed away and their practice of baptizing the dead has really hit home for me. I am aware that the Catholic Church does not view the mormon baptism as valid and was told by my parish priest not to worry about my grandfather as he had been properly baptized into the Catholic Church and he could not be rebaptized mormon after his death. My questions is…is there any official church stance or any information you can give me from the catholic perspective on this practice of baptizing the dead? Any information will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Michele

Michele,

I am sorry to hear of the loss of your grandfather and said a prayer for him. These links should give you the Catholic perspective on the Mormon attempts to baptize the dead. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by these links, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:
Mormonism’s Baptism for the Dead

What You Need to Know About the Mormons
But They Probably Won’t Tell You by Isaiah Bennett

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.