What cancer society doesn't contribute to embryonic stem cell research?

Does anyone know of a Cancer Society that does not contribute to embryonic stem cell research? When someone asks me to make a contribution to a cancer organization in memory of a friend that died or for other various reasons, I would like to contribute to a cancer society that doesn't aid embryonic stem cell research. I am hard pressed to find one. Please let me know if you know of one. Thank you.

I can not answer your question but, were I in your shoes, I would donate to a hospice instead.

I guess I am a borderline conspiracy nut, but I don’t believe that anyone in the medical community is really interested in curing this horrible and oh so very profitable disease.

[quote="adv1sor, post:2, topic:212253"]
I can not answer your question but, were I in your shoes, I would donate to a hospice instead.

I guess I am a borderline conspiracy nut, but I don't believe that anyone in the medical community is really interested in curing this horrible and oh so very profitable disease.

[/quote]

Yes, they are. People don't go into medicine to make a profit. There are a lot easier and more pleasant ways to get rich. Taking care of people with cancer is not as fun as selling widgits or being a movie star or a NFL football player, or investing in real estate or stocks.

And cancer is not profitable. There are so many people on public aid, and hospitals and clinics do not get reimbursed much for their treatment of these people.

For example, our lab charges around $200.00 for a urine culture. If you are insured, your insurance company will pay us $200.00, or perhaps you will pay us a co-pay of $25, and your insurance company will pay us the $175.00

But Medicaid will pay us about $20.00 So our lab will lose $180.00 on each public aid patient.

But we can't turn them away because we can't. So we just eat the loss, or we pass it on to your insurance company by charging $400.00 instead of $200.00, and your insurance company will pay it.

(The figures above aren't exact, BTW.)

Multiply that times all the tests and procedures that someone on public aid gets when they have cancer and you'll understand why I say that no one makes a profit off of cancer, except maybe the lawyer who convinces the ill patient to sue whoever might have given them the cancer.

I would suggest that you lose the conspiracy theories about health care professionals. Most of us are pretty decent people who truly care for those who are ill and suffering, and many of us work long, hard hours doing filthy, smelly work, exposing ourselves to mortal danger (getting stuck with a needle from an HIV or hepatitis positive patient, getting attacked by a delusional patient, etc.), and seeing people die anyway in spite of all our best efforts and technology.

I looked at the research projects sponsored by the Prostate Cancer Foundation, I couldn’t find any project linked to embryonic stem cells. So, this could be one foundation that you could contribute to, in good conscience.

pcf.org/site/c.leJRIROrEpH/b.5699537/k.BEF4/Home.htm

I’m a bit surprised learning that cancer societies contribute to embryonic stem cell research. Common sense would suggest that the temptation of killing unborn human beings for their stem cells would be strong not in cancer research, but rather in other fields dealing with degenerative diseases and organ failure due to cell death (Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, diabetes, heart failure, paralysis), where stem cells could be used to replace lost cells (lost neurons, lost insulin-producing cells of the pancreas, lost heart muscle cells) and regenerate organs. I don’t see how embryonic, or even the morally acceptable adult stem cells could help a disease like cancer which is a proliferative disorder, rather than a degenerative one.

Oh wait, are they now willing to kill human beings just to study how the embryonic stem cells work, and trying to sell this butcher job to the public with a vague promise that this knowledge will somehow be applied to cancer stem cells, at a distant and uncertain future time that will never come? :confused: :frowning: It’s true that this is how they hyped the promise of embryonic stem cells to the point that a lot of misled people, including Nancy Reagan (President Reagan’s widow), signed up to support this wild goose chase of embryonic stem cell research which is not only morally evil, but also failed to live up to the hype so far. We are every day helping and even curing patients with adult stem cells (stem cells extracted from the patient’s own bone marrow, skin, fat tissue), but not a single successful embryonic stem cell therapy has been developed so far.

Also, we must be careful not to confuse cancer stem cells with embryonic stem cells. Embryonic stem cells are of course obtained mostly through the morally evil procedure of killing human beings. Cancer stem cells, on the other hand, are a subpopulation of cancer cells arising in the tumors of cancer patients, originating from the patient’s own body. So, research on cancer stem cells is morally acceptable, because no human beings are killed to obtain those cancer stem cells.

Maybe we need an organization that rates research foundations and cancer societies and gives the thumbs up (or thumbs down) to their endeavors from a Catholic ethical standpoint! This would be a similar role to that of the Cardinal Newman Society, which rates Catholic colleges and universities.

[quote="Cat, post:3, topic:212253"]
I would suggest that you lose the conspiracy theories about health care professionals. Most of us are pretty decent people who truly care for those who are ill and suffering, and many of us work long, hard hours doing filthy, smelly work, exposing ourselves to mortal danger (getting stuck with a needle from an HIV or hepatitis positive patient, getting attacked by a delusional patient, etc.), and seeing people die anyway in spite of all our best efforts and technology.

[/quote]

LOL, I agree. Each field comes with its own heavy sacrifices. If you are in the clinics, you risk getting infected, have to deal with and comfort sick people, perhaps are on call and have to wake up in the middle of the night to deal with emergencies. I could never deal with the stress of seeing so many sick people on a daily basis. :o

If you are one of those nutjobs like me who chose to do research for a living, you will still have long working hours and possibly financial hardships in your life. When a friend of mine became a graduate student, his fiancee broke up with him, disgusted that he would be content with the meager salary of a graduate student. And I remember the looks of my former college mates, some six years after graduation, who saw that their top student colleague became a bottom financial earner. Any girls who regretted not marrying me while I was a star achiever in college could rest now assured that they didn't miss out on anything! :p I mean, I used to live in utter poverty for years, staying at a workplace dormitory with roommates, not even having a room of my own, while my former colleagues from the school of pharmacy were already owning their own pharmacies!

Thank you for your responses to my question. Here are two websites that list organizations that SUPPORT (either verbally or monetarily ) EMBRYONIC STEM CELL RESEARCH:
1.fightpp.org/show.cfm?page=stem_cell
2.stemcellresearchcures.com/embryonic-stem-cell-supporters
The Prostate Cancer Foundation is on one of the lists.
I have a sincere appreciation for Health Care workers and those in ethical medical research dedicated to alleviating human suffering. God has given you a special gift of grace to do what you do. When my father was dying in the hospital, I saw first hand how the nurses cared for him. I couldn’t believe what they had to do with very little help. Those in research, you dedicate your lives to work that can take years to come to fruition. You pursue it even knowing that sometimes it can lead to a dead end. We need you all and thank you for what you do.

closed #7

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.