What Catholic musicians/music do you enjoy?

I’m always looking to widen my horizons in music, and would love some suggestions on Christian, preferably Catholic musicians/music. Thanks in advance and God bless.

If there is anyone who knows more specifically Catholic musicians/music I’d love to hear also. The radio station I listen to plays only Christian music. Some of my faves are Kari Jobe, Mercy Me, and Casting Crowns. Third Day is another largely popular group but some of their music is borderline a little too “rock and roll” for me. I find it good running music, though, when I need a little more energy! I think it is true that if you try to put positive messages “in”, it reinforces the strength of your faith. I can speak from the experience of years of listening to secular music that the switch has made a difference for me…What type of music have you enjoyed in the past? :rolleyes:

www.spiritandsong.com

Matt Maher and Sarah Hart

Personally I'm glad that there is not some kind of "contemporary" Catholic music in the way that there is "contemporary" Christian music. Beautiful and interesting music is what I like: Mahler, Beethoven, Von Bingen, Gregorian chant, the Mozart Requiem, Carmina Burana, Shostakovich, Loreena McKennitt, Andrea Bocelli, Holst's The Planets, and many great film scores and classical pieces. I love the violin played by Hilary Hahn. Ever heard the Requiem by Gabriel Faure?

[quote="PathWalker, post:3, topic:216689"]
www.spiritandsong.com

Matt Maher and Sarah Hart

[/quote]

Both are very good.Also Teresa Smith solo or with her husband make up the group Crossed Hearts.

David MacDonald. Give him a listen and consider supporting him, as he damaged his voice and is requesting prayer. He also has a very good apologetics website.

I have been listening to Andrew Chinn lately - and I think he has written the best song about St Peter I have heard.

butterflymusic.com.au/needasong.html

I also find Colin Buchanan (protestant) has written some extremely catchy Bible songs that my kids and I sing over and over again.

Lastly give catholicjukebox.com/ a listen which features various artists each show

I don't know if she's Catholic (she does have a daughter named after Dorothy Day), but I really like Sarah Masen.

Miz

[quote="woodland_poet, post:4, topic:216689"]
Personally I'm glad that there is not some kind of "contemporary" Catholic music in the way that there is "contemporary" Christian music. Beautiful and interesting music is what I like: Mahler, Beethoven, Von Bingen, Gregorian chant, the Mozart Requiem, Carmina Burana, Shostakovich, Loreena McKennitt, Andrea Bocelli, Holst's The Planets, and many great film scores and classical pieces. I love the violin played by Hilary Hahn. Ever heard the Requiem by Gabriel Faure?

[/quote]

Your suggestions sound more like classical, which I think are also great for meditation. It fascinates me that the sound of music can evoke emotion or set the atmosphere without saying a word. Guess I just love music.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.