What caused Jesus' agony in the Garden?

I did a search on this subject before posting and didn’t notice any response that wasn’t more than conjecture on the part of those who replied.
My understanding on what caused Jesus’ agony were impure and unkind thoughts but a few days ago I read it was more than that. It was also His fear of what was to come (the physical torture, the Crucifixion, etc.). Are there any commentaries or essays that someone can give me a link to? I want to deepen my meditation while saying the Sorrowful Mysteries and the Divine Mercy Chaplet (I use the Sorrowful Mysteries to meditate while saying the Chaplet).

Thanks.

in mel Gibson’s passion of the christ it is portrayed as his last temptation away from his divine mission as well as when he took the sins of the world into himself. these are popular notions. also it is very emphasized in the gospels that this was a point where he had to submit his human nature to the father. I’m still like you awaiting a more theological response from someone else but I would say it was definitely more going on than just fear. he was also left alone by his disciples

2 Likes

Commentary of St. Cyril on the Gospel of Luke:
https://www.ecatholic2000.com/cyril/untitled-134.shtml#_Toc385688179

I am not unaware of the unloosing of death, and the abolition of corporeal corruption, and the overthrow of the tyranny of the devil, and the remission of sin. But withal it grieveth Me for Israel the firstborn, that henceforth He is not even among the servants.
The portion of the Lord, and the cord of My inheritance, will be “the portion of foxes,” as it is written. He Who was the beloved one is greatly hated: he who had the promises is utterly stripped of My gifts: the pleasant vineyard with its rich grapes henceforth will be a desert land, a place dried up, and without water.
“For I will command the clouds that they rain no rain upon it.”
“I will break through its hedge, and it shall be a spoil: and I will beat down its wall, and it shall be trampled under foot.”
And tell me then, what husbandman, when his vineyard is desert and waste, will feel no anguish for it? What shepherd would be so harsh and stern as, when his flock was perishing, to suffer nothing on its account? These are the causes of My grief: for these things I am sorrowful. For I am God, gentle, and that loveth to spare.
“I have no pleasure in the death of a sinner, but rather that he should turn from his evil way and live.”
Right therefore is it, most right, that as being good and merciful, I should not only be glad at what is joyful, but also should feel sorrow at whatsoever is grievous.

1 Like

I suspect that a lot of that agony had to do with betrayal, often cited as the most powerful human emotions. The thought firstly that he was betrayed by his own apostles, the Jewish hierarchy, the temple guards, and later on the people demanding Barabbas. Also the knowledge that he was not going to save every soul e.g. only one of the 2 criminals that were crucified. And being willingly crucified for the souls of those who were crucifying him.

1 Like

Read His own words from the agony:

http://www.usccb.org/bible/john/17 Jesus own words always bring me to tears

http://www.usccb.org/bible/matthew/26 begins at verse 36

http://www.usccb.org/bible/luke/22 begins v 39

1 Like

Three long hours of weariness, grief, fear and anguish swept in upon His soul like a torrent. Also knowing that his great sacrifice would be ignored/distorted/attacked by many and that few would be saved, what a burden on his soul!

You mean His reflection on His future sufferings? Not the sins of man? Good point.

These immense clearly known weight of all sins of all people past, present and future to Him at that time. In other words he not only knew them all but He felt them all deeply in His heart!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.