What Causes People To Attack?

Why do anti-Catholics seek to attack the Catholic Faith?

Why do some Catholics attack the different ways of worshiping within the Faith?

I’ve been thinking about this for a while now…. I personally think it is out of fear…

Sinful human nature? Insecurity about one’s self? Primitive tribalistic attitudes?

Why do folks get so bent out of shape when someone else’s beliefs differ? Usually not because of concern for their souls actually, even if they say that’s the reason. Usually it’s an egotistical reason. Something done to preserve the ego integrity of the person by detracting from another.

But fear of what? Being wrong or maybe afraid that they’ll find the truth in the Church that they’ve been taught to hate and fear. If they found the truth they could lose family and friends. This is a tough one, Annunciata, but you’ve given me something to think about today. Thanks and have a great day.http://forums.catholic.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

[quote=Annunciata]I’ve been thinking about this for a while now…. I personally think it is out of fear…
[/quote]

Lots of reasons, and fear is a driving force.

They are Catholics in body but not in heart. (Another reason to hate “We Are One Body,” but I digress).

They think that “faith” and “religion” should be anything they want it to be. In their minds they themselves to define their faith rather than use “faith” to define themselves.

They think the Church is a Democracy and can be “bent to the will of the people.”

They have been poorly catechized.

They are the product of a sinful environment, pummelled by a sex-crazed media, pounded by a secularized liberal agenda, trapped by their own learned behaviors.

De Debbil makes 'em do it.

The biggie: Most really want to be Catholic because the Holy Spirit leads them this way, but once they get here they are looking to Catholicism to validate their actions. Rather than change their lifestyle and beliefs to meet God’s expectations of them, they assume they can change God’s expectations by force of will.

Doesn’t work that way.

[quote=Annunciata]Why do anti-Catholics seek to attack the Catholic Faith?

[/quote]

I think a lot of it comes from fear. If you admit that other people might be right, you also have to admit that you might be wrong. That scares people.

Also, I think everyone has a hard time telling what’s important from what’s not. I do not think God cares very much whether we worship with organ music, electric guitars, or liturgical dancers (David danced before the Ark, after all). We do.

It is easy to elevate our personal prejudices to the level of dogma and use religion as an excuse. I find myself saying “This is irreligous” when what I mean is “I don’t like it.”

It’s because we’re silly.

[quote=WhiteDove]Sinful human nature? Insecurity about one’s self? Primitive tribalistic attitudes?

Why do folks get so bent out of shape when someone else’s beliefs differ? Usually not because of concern for their souls actually, even if they say that’s the reason. Usually it’s an egotistical reason. Something done to preserve the ego integrity of the person by detracting from another.
[/quote]

We get “bent out of shape” because those people’s beliefs, contrary to the Magisterium of the Church, lead others astray.

It’s not “MY” beliefs I’m defending. I’m defending the entire Magisterium as handed down, without error, by this Holy Roman Catholic Church.

what makes people confuse the discipline of apologetics with the discipline of military science, and treat every discussion like a battle with the anti-Christ?

hi,

i’m living in a campus almost totally protestant and i have a few ideas.
i don’t think there’s any fear involved till they seriously start examining the catholic faith. till then, it’s what i’d call honest anti-catholicism: most of them honestly believe they’re going to heaven and that we’ve got it wrong on several points of faith. also, they are eager to evangelise and tell others about jesus. in all this, they obviously think catholics need evangelising too and also need the pointing out of mistakes in their faith. they also think that catholics don’t really care much about their faith or even know much about it( can’t blame them, here in india, very few catholics do know their faith; hardly any even seem to know about the church position on contraception!!)

the fear comes in when someone actually takes a deeper look at the catholic faith and starts thinking about it. then, the anti-catholicism perhaps comes from an attempt to convince oneself that the catholic church couldn’t possibly be right.

as to why people attack other rites or modes of worship, i think it comes from a lack of proper understanding of the other mode of worship. personally, if it’s catholic, i’m sure it’s good and i’ll take that liturgy
cheerio:thumbsup:

I would say that it’s because they think that they’re right. It’s not as if there are obvious logical fallacies in, e.g., Reformed theology. They discuss matters with Catholics because (1) it’s the most viable contradictory position in the West and (2) they consider Catholicism a dangerous, soul-jeopardizing belief.

What do you mean by “attack”?

In this ultra-sensitive, feel-good society I’ve found that spirited disagreement gets interpretted as “attack”.

We “attack” abortion, we “attack” homosexual marriage.

If this is justifiable then we must acknowlege that it is justifiable that they respond in kind. So be it.

Foolish is the soldier who takes up arms but does not wear armor.

We must be prepared for the enemy’s response. And ultimately have faith that Truth and Justice will prevail.

May the best man win.

Fear.

My take is that the people who seem to hate us the most are those who believe that they are saved by faith alone. They want to be happily assured of their salvation, and the notion that we all will be judged on our works presents a fear that attacks the very foundations of their faith. So, of course, the natural inclination is to lash out.

Eric

Exactly! Good answer!

as to why people attack other rites or modes of worship, i think it comes from a lack of proper understanding of the other mode of worship… [font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][/size]

[/font]
[font=Arial][size=2]I too share some of these insights. Annunciata:)
[/size][/font]

I would agree that some is a fear of the unknown; “the threatening stranger”. But I am convinced that most of us do not like and are not comfortable with change. We are like the moving body described in elementary physics. Our lives have momentum and direction and it takes some force to change our trajectory through life. It is easiest to just continue on like we always have in the past. New directions are stressful and threatening and lets face it sometimes not for the best. Evangelicals feel a strong need to bring others to faith in Jesus Christ. To bring them to “being saved”. In their interpretation of scripture we Catholics are bound for hell and they very realistically understand that ending up in hell is a total disaster. Makes them fervent for souls. I think sometimes that that is one valuble attitude we Catholics sometimes lack, fervor for souls. :slight_smile:

[quote=Black Jaque]What do you mean by “attack”?

In this ultra-sensitive, feel-good society I’ve found that spirited disagreement gets interpretted as “attack”.
[/quote]

Black Jaque,
Thanks for your response…but my question was:

Annunciata:)

[quote=enanneman]Fear.

My take is that the people who seem to hate us the most are those who believe that they are saved by faith alone. They want to be happily assured of their salvation, and the notion that we all will be judged on our works presents a fear that attacks the very foundations of their faith. So, of course, the natural inclination is to lash out.

Eric
[/quote]

My thoughts, exactly. :clapping:

[quote=enanneman]Fear.

Eric
[/quote]

So they will live with the deception and be content on attacking what seems to be in disagreement with their beliefs?

Again, I’m unclear of what you mean by “attack”. There is a great spectrum of “anti-Catholics” out there, who are motivated by a variety of reasons.

Some Protestants are completely sincere in their belief that they are the ones defending the Truth when they speak out against Marian doctrines. And as Christians they have an obligation to proclaim the Truth. But there are many Catholics who consider this an “anti-Catholic attack”. So what?

And there are occultists who attack with entirely malicious intentions I suppose.

Again this is probably due to misunderstanding. Sacred worship is crucially important to us. And because of it’s importance we should not become lax in observing it. So if someone has been taught that the Eucharist is truely Jesus’ flesh, they are taught also that it would be a grave sin to show disrespect to the Eucharist. All of this is objectively true, and because it is true it will never change. But then there comes the question of “How do we properly show respect when taking Communion?” The answer to this question is more subjective than objective. They are taught one way to show respect - and anything “other than” is considered thoughtless and disrepectful - read “grave sin”. So they rightfully make a stand against it. They can’t distinguish between the objective and the subjective.

And there is some need for uniformity in faith and morals. What you do and believe affects me. Because so many people in this country think nothing of abortion, this may affect my Social Security check because the smaller workforce can’t support it.

I get distracted when I watch people go to Communion. Personally I have no problem with Communion in the hands, but some people accept Him in the most flip posture possible. I half expect to see someone flip the Eucharist off their thumb and catch Him in their mouth. I begin to question if they really believe what the Church teaches. Somehow this does affect my worship. There is a “dis-communion” as we are not of one belief.

Am I motivated to “attack” over something like this? Not unless you consider my words above an “attack” on those people who make one-handed grabs at Communion.

[quote=Annunciata]So they will live with the deception and be content on attacking what seems to be in disagreement with their beliefs?
[/quote]

I wouldn’t characterize the deception as something they would be consciously aware of…

They have their minister–whom they most likely view as someone with a greater intelligence and understanding of God and in whom they respect highly–looming before them, telling them that all they have to do is believe and they will be saved. But, human nature being what it is, they have doubts. It scratches away at their faith, telling them that, surely, it cannot be that easy. But, standing before them is that man of God, telling them that it is. So, I would imagine there would be some repressed turmoil.

Enter the Catholic who tells them that yes, indeed, it is not that easy. The Catholic who says you can achieve Heaven by faith, but you can be delivered unto Hell by works or lack of them. This Catholic agrees with their human nature, which they have repressed.

If denial is the first stage, anger is the next. Hopefully we can play a part in the bargaining, depression, and ultimately, acceptance stages.

Of course, I understand reality is not that easily explained or clear-cut, but I do think this explanation does provide some insight.

:slight_smile:

Peace and God bless!

Eric

[quote=Annunciata]I’ve been thinking about this for a while now…. I personally think it is out of fear…
[/quote]

Take your pick:

1. Ignorance
  2. Arrogance

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.