What changes would you make to the Extraordinary Form, if you could?

This is why you’re one of my favorite posters here!

I don’t have any real issue with navigating the Missal and, it didn’t take long. For those who struggle, it might help to prep your ribbons before you go. As far as language, my 1962 has English and Latin side by side. So does my 3rd Edition Missal, though not extensively.

In sum, I don’t have a problem. It just takes some effort. I’m a high-logic type, at least according to the standardized tests. Maybe that helps, I don’t know.

Just beware of OraLabora’s First Law of liturgical books: in order to obtain an imprimatur, nihil obstat, and concordat cum originali, a liturgical book must have at least one less ribbon than is actually needed for whatever liturgy is being celebrated on any given day.

Thus follows the Second Law: an adequate supply of prayer cards is the liturgist’s best friend.

I present to you Fauken’s Theory! Folding the ends of your ribbons into the book produces double the bookmarks!

Two ribbons for the Liturgy usually work for me. One to mark the particular day and one to mark the beginning of the Order of Mass. I usually keep another ribbon marking the prayers before and after Mass.

I laminated 8-1/2" x 11" “prayer cards” containing the Last Gospel and the Leonine Prayers for the OF Mass, since they’re not in that Missal. Not in Latin, anyway (though the St. Michael Prayer is)

Unfortunately the Second Theory of Ribbon Dynamics is that any serious liturgical book is made with ribbons so flimsy that they’re frayed to 2/3 of their original length, thus making them almost useless unless you stick them out the side rather than top-to-bottom.

Graduale Romanum, feast of the Holy Family, in the Ordinary Form:

Propers:
Introit: Deus loco in sancta suo, p. 310
Gradual: Unam Petii, p. 358
Alleluia: Gaudete, iusti, p. 430
Offertory: In te speravi, Domine, p. 322.
Communion: Fili, quid fecisti, p. 51

Ordinary: Kyrie IV*, Gloria, Sanctus, Agnus, from Mass VI, Credo III.

The Graduale Romanum comes with two ribbons :roll_eyes:

Third Theory of Ribbon Dynamics: If your congregation includes children, they will have braided them all into a single ribbon.

Until you assist at a ferial Mass or Commemoration for which your hand missal will have the propers scattered all over the place. “Collect: Deus qui de beatae… from the Common of Our Lady, p. 1086. Gospel: In illo tempore designavit… as on p.1178.” etc.

Edit: Ninja’d by our resident Oblate. You’re quite fast for an old guy. :slight_smile:

I think prayer cards were mentioned…extra Missal markers.

That’s why I try to flip groupings of pages instead of pulling the ribbon to do so. Although I saw someone selling insert replacements on Etsy, but I don’t know how tenable they’d be. Still, my biggest gripe with my current breviaries is that the ribbons are so flimsy. I’ve been barely using them for a month and they’re already fraying! :tired_face:

Ive been paranoid lately that my homemade after-OF Mass prayer cards will be suppressed…confiscated by one of the ushers tidying up the pews.

I could use my flagellum cords as ribbons. They’re very sturdy, if blood-flecked.Thanks for the idea!

I use candles either side of my prie-dieu in my oratory, for Sundays, feasts and solemnities. When I acquire a new book, or a new insert tab of ribbons, after I blow out the candle, I dip the tips of the ribbons in the still-liquid wax. The ribbon soaks up the wax which then cools and hardens.

OK so some times it feels like you dipped your ribbons in hot nose snot, but hey, they don’t fray anymore!

I tried using my cilice but it kind of shredded the tissue-paper-thin pages.

Am I the only one who uses these as extra ribbons?

I’m too thumbsies for those. Need something burly.

Nope, I use them too for the frequently-used parts of my breviaries (invitatory, ordinary, Compline, etc.)

Double duty.

But…how do you know where to place the ribbons?!

There aren’t any dates. And no one says or posts what the pages of the day are!

And from what I’ve seen, the Missals available to the public at our Latin Mass parish are dated in the 1960s and don’t have any ribbons–they’re just cheap paperback books.

?? I declare…well, I won’t declare anything except my good wishes to those of you who actually “get” the Latin Mass, and my firm hope that you will run for public office because you are obviously smarter than the av-er-age bear!

Here’s a rough placement of mine (my missal isn’t with me, so I can’t remember exactly where on the top of my head), a Protestant convert:

• First ribbon, confession prayers and examination of conscience
  • Second ribbon, Propers of Seasons (Epiphany, Christmas, etc.)
  • Third ribbon, the Canon of Mass (what happens at Mass)
  • Fourth ribbon, the Preface
  • Fifth ribbon, Propers of Saints

Technically the ends of my ribbons are tucked into the book and act as bookmarks for other pages, but we won’t go into them. :stuck_out_tongue:

How do I know what day it is? I check the bulletin posted in the church. I also have an app with the EF calendar on it, so I look at that to.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.