What changes would you make to the Extraordinary Form, if you could?

Until you get it all ready, place your ribbons in their appropriate spots, and then get to Mass the next morning to find out that your priest (or someone) goofed and didn’t consult the Table of Precedence in the Rubrics of the 1960 Roman Breviary and Missal. :stuck_out_tongue:

This happened to me twice last year, both in instances of liturgical impediment between two feasts of the same class. The most unfortunate of which was October 7th’s Our Lady of the Rosary, which should’ve been outranked by the whatever Sunday after Pentecost it was. I was actually quite bummed out that Oct 7 fell on a Sunday as we wouldn’t be celebrating it. I was overjoyed to see our priest processing in white vestments that Sunday, “liturgical abuse” notwithstanding! :slight_smile:

Oh if only you met me you’d think it a miracle I can find my way out of a paper bag let alone my way through a Latin Mass. I chalk it up to the amazing plasticity of human knowledge by which routine makes us experts in all manner of strange things. I have similar respect for those in the Church who can rattle off scripture verses at whim, or those who nod in agreement when anything written by St. Thomas Aquinas is discussed and they actually know what the heck is going on (don’t let my avatar deceive you).

Do you think this would be adequate?

Impossible! :slight_smile:

There will always be some obscure feast that will be missing one :wink:

They come in handy on weekdays when saints are feasted.

Oh, for Byzantines you need a few more volumes for that.

I would think by now you’d have it all memorized.

:slight_smile:

Ha! That Horologion in the picture? Did you notice those beautifully un-frayed and unbraided ribbons? That’s because it’s been sitting on my shelf for 6 years. Someday, when the kids are grown…

I was pretty busy lately, but now I’ll gladly explain my reasons for the changes :grinning:

Add the universal prayers, but they’d be conducted by the priest, follow some set formulas and be completely optional.

I think a moment of a fervent supplication to the Lord would be a profitable thing for the Church. It’s also present in (at least) the byzantine rite, so I think that would make the liturgy more universal. I’d suggest you to take a look at “The Prayers of the People” in “Divine Worship: The Missal”, specially form III, so you could have an idea of what I’m talking about.

Eliminate the need of the priest to read the parts sung by the choir.

Having the priest to read the parts the parts sung by the choir kind of makes the choir a superfluous part of the mass, like just a decoration. I think that’s awkward.

The introit would be sung before the asperges,

I understand the Asperges is not part of the mass, but it could be incorporated into it or become a brief intermission, like the homily. The Introit is supposed to be the entrance chant, so I don’t think it makes sense to sing or play whatever during the entrance then sing the Introit during the Prayers at the Foot of the Altar. Speaking of which…

and adding ancient tropes to the Kyrie would be allowed, in a similar way to the Penitential Rite C of the OF.

Well, I’m not talking about those ad lib tropes added to the modern rite. I’m talking about ancient tropes, such as this one: https://youtu.be/E0Q825shqIo
I think adding tropes to everything would make the mass a mess, but restoring the tradition of singing troparies to the Kyrie would make it more prayerful and add something more for the faithful to meditate. When I mentioned the rite C, I was referring to the fact that there’s a trope to each session of the Kyrie, instead of to each invocation. That would make the Kyrie huge.
(cont)

Add a reading, like the OF, and I’d make a new lectionary, with a new reading for each ferial day, the readings of the other days remaining intact.

No, I was just talking about adding a reading, like it was done in the past and it is currently done in the byzantine rite. Also, I wasn’t talking about creating a 3 year lectionary. I was suggesting to add new readings to the ferial days, instead of just repeating the readings of the last Sunday.

The responsorial psalm and the acclamation of the Gospel could be an alternative to the gradual and alleluia, as long as the psalm be the same of the gradual and the verse of the acclamation of the gospel be the sabe as the one from the alleluia.

I’m not trying to “Novus Ordoize” the Tridentine Mass. The responsorial psalm and the acclamation of the Gospel would be a better alternative to small parishes with a not so experienced choir than setting the gradual and alleluia to a simple psalm tone, which ends in, like, 10 seconds max. Actually, based on the Byzantine Rite and analyzing gregorian chant, I suspect the responsorial psalm and the acclamation were the original form of the gradual and alleluia.
Anyway, I didn’t mention that in the original post, but an easier Graduale, with simpler propers, would be pretty useful. Something like the Graduale Simplex tried to be, but failed miserably.

Write a new, shorter confiteor, but preserving all the main elements of the EF confiteor.

The NO confiteor is actually pretty different from the tridentine one.
The current EF confiteor is a tongue twister, so, when the faithful recite it before communion, it turns into a jumbled mess of chaos.
I use a shorter confiteor for my personal prayers before sleeping, I think it would be nice to share with you:
“I confess to Almighty God, to Blessed Mary ever-Virgin, to Blessed Michael Archangel and to all the saints and angels, (and to thee, Father) that I have sinned exceedingly in thought, word,
deed and omission; by my fault, by my fault, by my own most grievous fault. Wherefore I beg thee to pray for me to the Lord our God.”

Allow some traditionally silent parts to be said aloud: the secret, the consecration, the anamnesis, the doxology of the Canon, all the prayers from the end of the Pater Noster until the Agnus Dei and the last gospel at sung masses.

My idea is to render hand missals unnecessary. Audible consecration, anamnesis and doxology is everything you need to understand what’s going on during the Canon. Of course, it would be optional.
(cont)

Allow missa cantata with one acolyte.

Why not missa cantata too?

Allow singing the ordinary at spoken masses; the propers could also be sung, but only in psalm tone.

When the people start reading the ordinary, it becomes a mess, a chaotic mass of sound. Singing it would be a better option. An alternative would be banning Dialogue Mass, Silent Mass becoming the only option of Low Mass.

Allow the Pater Noster to be chanted by everyone.

As you mentioned, we’re already used to it.

Allow the final blessing to be chanted, the prayers before the distribution of the Eucharist too.

Maybe it’s my misophonia speaking out loud.

Add longer, solemn blessings, such as the ones from the OF.

I didn’t know the longer blessings of the OF were ad lib. In this case, longer blessings could be prescribed for I and II class feasts.

Allow bishops to celebrate priest mass, or at least make some adaptations to allow high masses with less assistants and make an adapted missa cantata (not high mass).

I’m not suggesting giving up the Pontifical High Mass, but think of smaller dioceses with a low number of resources and people. It would be useful to have something more solemn than a Low Mass, when they can’t afford celebrating a Pontifical High Mass.

Readings executed turned to the people

Readings turned back to the people is pretty awkward.

Permit vernacular in the following situations: readings (including the last gospel), the prayers of the priest from the propers (collect, secret and post communion), the responsorial psalm and acclamation of the gospel with the bishop’s consent, and, in dioceses with a great number of illiteracy, all the audible parts of the mass, except for the consecration.

I don’t think I mentioned saying them. Well,they could be chanted in vernacular so hand missals could become unnecessary. The Secret could be chanted aloud because it’s one of the most important prayers IMO. The sacrificial nature of the mass becomes very explicit, and nowadays, with that protestant epidemic, it would be useful to make it very clear.

Move the dismissal to after the blessing.

I agree that was pretty arbitrary of my part. I just think it feels awkward.

But there is a reason why it isn’t prayed in the vernacular by the priest. The priest knows Latin.

We laity can pray in the vernacular. It’s right there in the missal.

I love having to use my missal. It keeps me focused on the Mass. It keeps me from looking around and being distracted by various things.

And you know even if the church allowed the EF to be prayed in the vernacular by the priest, I would still use my missal. There are a lot of prayers that the priest prays inaudibly.

I think it was my 3rd EF iirc. I happened to have a pen with me and I made a few notes in my missal during the Mass. Kneel, stand, etc. Helped me keep up.

I even use a missal for the OF.

1. Stand for the Gradual (Alleluia) and during the entire Nicene Creed (instead of sitting down). That really irks me.

2. Sit for the Epistle.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.