What changes would you make to the Extraordinary Form, if you could?

Too many options. This is why people prefer the EF to begin with.

Good luck with that, they are among the harder chants to master, especially since a great many of them change key at the psalm verse, which is even more ornate than the initial antiphon. I’m not sure you’ll have much success in finding someone to sing them in St-Frigid-in-deepest-Québec. Our schola typically doesn’t use them as, well, they’re rather hard for some of our members; I do sing the first part at the abbey with the community (the schola always sings the verse alone) and I have most of the Mode V ones down pat, but the modes I, II, III and VII ones… . We do one gradual only, the Christus factus est which we sing on Holy Saturday at Lauds (where it takes the place of the responsory). We’ve spent YEARS trying to master it, and we’ve got it down pretty well now,

Instead I would opt for a responsorial psalm from the Graduale Simplex for most parishes. The antiphon can be “vernacularized” but kept on the Gregorian tones. In fact for most parishes the Graduale Simplex would be a better choice than the Graduale Romanum which I would leave for monasteries and perhaps cathedrals with chapters of canons.

Something along the lines of the Simple English Propers can be also used, or an equivalent in other languages that lend themselves to Gregorian tones.

One could also simplify the Gradual but then you end up with just a run-of-the-mill antiphon and psalm verse, at that point you may as well just have a responsorial psalm.

I’m not a fan of the Roman Canon. Won’t get into the reasons here, but I’ll let you have it half the time if you let me have EP IV half the time :wink: EP IV is my favourite, beautiful language, nice history of the economy of salvation. Yes, I do hear it regularly, the abbey rotates through all the 4 main EPs.

Make it the Ordinary Form.

From the spirit of novelty and innovation, deliver us, O Lord.

Bring it to a parish within 25-30 miles.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.