What Choir of Angel is Moroni ?

Hi ,
I read the book of Mormon years ago but I do not Remember
what Choir, Moroni the Angel was.

I would assume he was the founder of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, but then, I don’t know much about Mormons.

I mean the 9 Choirs of Angels:
1.Seraphim
2.Cherubim
3.Thrones
4.Dominions
5.Powers
6.Virtues
7.Principalities
8.Archangels
9.Angels

While we’re on this subject, what does his name mean, and in what language?

The three angels named in the Bible have names that mean something in the Hebrew language of the Old Testament: Michael (Mee-kha-el) = “who is like God?”; Raphael (rah-fah-el) = “God has healed,” and Gabriel (gav-ree-el) = “man/champion/hero of God.” What does “Moroni” mean?

DaveBj

If you don’t know already, angels are different beings in Mormon vs. Catholic theology. In Catholic theology, angels are spiritual beings and are an entirely different race then men. They don’t have bodies, but can take on different forms in the physical world. They are not nor were they ever humans. In Mormon theology, angels are men in heaven or are resurrected men, such as Moroni. Moroni was a man who is now an angel.

First we’ll tackle the etymology of the name “Mormon”, the historian/prophet who put together the Book of Mormon, which is provided by Joseph Smith (as a side note, there are two Moroni, one was a previous “Captain Moroni”, a military leader, and the other was Mormon’s son, named after the “Captain”, and it was the Moroni, son of Mormon that was later resurrected and became an angel…). Joseph Smith gives us the origin of the name “Mormon”; it comes from a combination of the English word “more” and some language he called “Reformed Egyptian” word “mon”, meaning “good”. “Mormon” means “more-good”.

Check the lower right-hand corner of this document for Joseph Smith’s explanation:

irr.org/mit/images/tsv4p194.gif

As for Moroni, if we figure the name is formed the same way, then we can guess “oni” comes from the ancient Semitic form of “anu”, meaning “God”. Therefore, we can say “Moroni” means “More-God”.

einarerickson.com/content/view/73/39

My question is: how did these people come in contact with the English language 1,000+ years before extended contact was made between Europe and the Americas? As a matter of fact, how did they get in contact with the English language before it was developed between 1000 and 1500 AD?!?!?

:rotfl: That was too much!!   :clapping:

As I understand it, Moroni is a resurrected personage…the same can be said for John the Baptist in Mormon belief…John the Baptist ordained JS to the Aaronic priesthood.

From what I gather, some people have already been resurrected and serve as “messengers” between heaven and earth…“angel” means “messenger” so…there ya have it…Moroni was the son of Mormon who buried the gold plates…he was raised from the dead and appeared to Joseph Smith…so the story goes…not an “angel” the way most Christians think of angels.

There are two, and only two, possibilities here.

1. Moroni was an invention of Joseph Smith. ‘Moroni’ is not an angel. Moroni does not exist.

2. Moroni is a demon that visited Joseph Smith. Thus Moroni is not an angel in a choir in heaven. Moroni is a demon from hell.

There you have it.

That’ just how I see it, it is clear as day, a angel of light, Joseph
Smith must have seen, but not the good kind.

Joseph Smith, in his youth and like his father, was obsessed with buried treasure. He had a particularly keen interest in Captain Kidd’s treasure. I find it interesting that Captain Kidd was thought to have hidden a very large cache of treasure in the Grand Comoros Islands (also called Comorah, as in the Hill Cumorah). The capital of Comorah is (drum roll, please…) Moroni.

The names of the islands and of the capital city in the Comoros, Moroni, has raised interest among members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In the Book of Mormon there is reference to the angel Moroni, son of Mormon, and to the hill, Cumorah. They play central roles in the Book of Mormon and there is some question about the possible relationship between these names in the Book of Mormon and those in the Indian Ocean.

The name of the town in the Comoros and the name of the islands themselves appear to be independent of the Book of Mormon. ‘Moroni’ has a meaning in the local language, viz. “at the place of fire.” It is constructed of the root ‘moro,’ which means “fire” or “heat” and the locative ‘-ni,’ which means “at the place of” or “in.” This is a logical name constructed from the morphemes of the language reflecting the fact that the community is located at the base of an immense, active volcano. Likewise, the name ‘Comoro’ has a meaning. It is composed of an old Swahili locative ‘ko-’ and the word ‘moro.’ It’s meaning is also “the place of fire.”

Whether the relationship between the terms in the Book of Mormon and the names in the islands is coincidental or there is some historical relationship between the two is not certain at present. The archaeological evidence suggests that the groups mentioned in the Book of Mormon did not have any contact with the Comoro Islands. On the other hand, it is not unlikely that Joseph Smith had heard of Moroni and the Comoro Islands since they were known to Americans as early as the seventeeth century and many whalers from New England had visited the islands in the early part of the nineteenth century. Their names were probably heard throughout the northeastern United States at the time Smith had his vision. They then could have become part of Smith’s rendition of the Book of Mormon.

More here.

Fun stuff, eh?
Paul

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.