What Christian language do you know?

@Spyridon inspired me to make this.

I know Koine Greek fairly well, and can read the New Testament in the original language fairly smoothly.

What about the rest of CAF? Anyone know Latin, Greek, Hebrew, Coptic, Church Slavonic, etc.?

1 Like

Sorry, English only.

2 Likes

Passably fluent in Latin.
American English (debatable in its sacred nature)

1 Like

Hey, English is one of the most spoken language by Catholics in the world today; also (even though it’s a Protestant Bible) the KJV is in English, and is considered one of the greatest works in English. :stuck_out_tongue:

I had two years of Latin (over 30 years ago).

2 Likes

I had two years of year 1 Latin. I know enough to get irritated by college bumper stickers that say Alumni.

[It should be alumnus. Alumni is plural]

2 Likes

I can say “Jesus” in sign language

1 Like

Of all the sacred languages, I know Latin the best, but I still don’t know it well enough!

1 Like

If you own an old king james version, you tecnically know 2 languages

1 Like

More like two slightly different dialects of modern English.

1 Like

I mean the 18th 17th century versions

1 Like

I am fluent in Aramaic.

But before I go further, I must confess that I have told a blatant lie. It would be really cool, though. Aramaic is nearly a dead language. If I am not mistaken, it is still spoken in one small town in Syria, but I would have to look it up. It is dying out, though, because the the young people have no interest to learn it from their parents.

2 Likes

Its still around and its in a few towns in both syria and some places in isreal

1 Like

The Maronites still use it in their liturgies, don’t they?

1 Like

alao the druze still speak it

1 Like

I speak English and only English.

1 Like

You had me there for a second. Anyone who is fluent in Aramaic deserves a medal.

Biblical Hebrew.

1 Like

Using a language in a liturgy would not equate to knowing the language, though.

Wow, nice!

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.