What Christian Songs Are you Listening To?

Someone posted You are my God by Tony Melendez.

What a beautiful song!

This new Catholic needs some new Christian songs in her iPhone - especially those by Catholic artists.

Help a sister out!

youtube.com/watch?v=iXuuHx8ZtUM&ob=av2e

I love these three priests they have three great CDs out I own all three on iTunes.

good mix of all language music including some latin some french (i think) spanish, and of course english.

the latest one included christian christmas music.

i also have a gergorian chant station on my pandora I listen to sometimes.

[quote="catholictiger, post:2, topic:265893"]
youtube.com/watch?v=iXuuHx8ZtUM&ob=av2e

I love these three priests they have three great CDs out I own all three on iTunes.

good mix of all language music including some latin some french (i think) spanish, and of course english.

the latest one included christian christmas music.

i also have a gergorian chant station on my pandora I listen to sometimes.

[/quote]

How interesting to see Priests in their collars singing, ha ha.

Do you listen to any contemporary Christian music?

[quote="TrueLight, post:3, topic:265893"]

[/quote]

They are good, I have one of their albums! :D

[quote="MartyrForJesus, post:4, topic:265893"]
They are good, I have one of their albums! :D

[/quote]

What else do you listen to? Anything contemporary?

I have tons of chant/classical on my iPhone.

[quote="TrueLight, post:3, topic:265893"]

[/quote]

I listen to some matt maher and some modern hymn music from time to time.

but my favorite music when it comes to christian music is more of the traditional type of music.

i use to listen to listen to contemporary music all the time, just not as much anymore.

So no one else listens to Christian music? Where are the young 'uns on this forum?

[quote="TrueLight, post:7, topic:265893"]
So no one else listens to Christian music? Where are the young 'uns on this forum?

[/quote]

Christian music? Count me in!

But preferably make it Christ Tomlin, or Hillsong, or Casting Crowns, or the Newsboys. Matthew West has had some good stuff too lately.

[quote="TrueLight, post:1, topic:265893"]
Someone posted You are my God by Tony Melendez.

[/quote]

I love Tony Melendez. I saw him live a few years ago and had a chance to speak and have my picture taken with him. Such a great man. My family drove 4 hours to see him. When he found out he said he was honored and gave my family a shout out at the end of the concert and thanked us for making the drive up to see him. Have you heard the song that he played for the Pope that made him famous?
youtube.com/watch?v=zlZPYGBXQ44
youtube.com/watch?v=shK0DZHd81E
Here's another beautiful song of his:
youtube.com/watch?v=XdKpWoxa-1U

I love Tony!

As far as Catholics go, Matt Maher is great.
Bill Brown is also a wonderful Catholic musician: billbrownworship.com/

This band is good, but they are Protestant: youtube.com/watch?v=YlngsjDiDko

Fr. Stan Fortuna is a great rapping priest if you like that kind of music.

[quote="curlycool89, post:8, topic:265893"]
Christian music? Count me in!

But preferably make it Christ Tomlin, or Hillsong, or Casting Crowns, or the Newsboys. Matthew West has had some good stuff too lately.

[/quote]

Hey curlycool, are they all Catholic?

Would you mind recommending your favorite song by each artist?

[quote="SalesianSDB, post:9, topic:265893"]
I love Tony Melendez. I saw him live a few years ago and had a chance to speak and have my picture taken with him. Such a great man. My family drove 4 hours to see him. When he found out he said he was honored and gave my family a shout out at the end of the concert and thanked us for making the drive up to see him. Have you heard the song that he played for the Pope that made him famous?
youtube.com/watch?v=zlZPYGBXQ44
youtube.com/watch?v=shK0DZHd81E
Here's another beautiful song of his:
youtube.com/watch?v=XdKpWoxa-1U

[/quote]

That's an awesome story. I did see the song he sang for the Pope, but I didn't like it that much.

Fr. Stan Fortuna is a great rapping priest if you like that kind of music.

Nah. :p

[quote="TrueLight, post:10, topic:265893"]
Hey curlycool, are they all Catholic?

Would you mind recommending your favorite song by each artist?

[/quote]

So far as I know, none of them are. They fall more with Praise/Worship than (what some would consider) traditional music.

As to some recommendations for each:

Chris Tomlin - How Great is Our God, Indescribable

Hillsong - Sing to the Lord, None but Jesus

Casting Crowns - Praise You in this Storm, Courageous

Newsboys - Presence, Amazing Love

Matthew West - Strong Enough

Santus Real Lead me
Jamie Grace hold me
Matthew West The motions
Laura Story blessing
Casting Crown Who am I

[quote="TrueLight, post:11, topic:265893"]
I did see the song he sang for the Pope, but I didn't like it that much.

[/quote]

My mom would say it should by my wedding song. But I love the Pope's reaction. He jumped off the stage and kissed him. I think at that moment JP2 was more honored to meet Tony and Tony was to meet JP2.

"My wish for me is for you to give hope to all the people." I can say he has done that.

Good stuff. I like Matt West, Sanctus Real and Hillsong so far.

So are there not a lot of Catholics in the Contemporary Christian Genre?

I'm open to alternative/metal genre as well.

Gorecki's 3rd Symphony. 'nuff said. I recommend it!

[quote="TrueLight, post:15, topic:265893"]
I'm open to alternative/metal genre as well.

[/quote]

Say no more. :)

The only Christian music I listen to is metal. (Well, the only music I listen to is metal. :o)

The only Catholic metal band I have any albums from is Eterna. They're not my favorite band, but they have some good songs.

I really enjoy Theocracy. They're 3rd album just came out a couple weeks ago. They keep getting better and better.

Saviour Machine is a semi-gothic Christian metal band. I love their vocalist.

HB is another cool symphonic metal Christian band, but they have a female lead singer. If you've ever heard of Nightwish, they are in much the same vein (they're even from Finland!).

I came across this one album on YouTube for the project Scandinavian Metal Praise. I think the song Take Me In is my favorite so far. It is definitely on my list of albums to get. This is another female-fronted band. Actually "band" is probably not the best word. It's more of a collaborative project and the contributors have chosen to remain anonymous.

[quote="Joe_5859, post:17, topic:265893"]
Say no more. :)

The only Christian music I listen to is metal. (Well, the only music I listen to is metal. :o)

[/quote]

I am trying so hard to diversify, but I love metal. :p

Saviour Machine is a semi-gothic Christian metal band. I love their vocalist.

He sounds like a cross between Andrew Eldritch from Sisters of Mercy and Elizium. Love it, love it. I like "Love Never Dies" and "Carnival of Souls" so far.

HB is another cool symphonic metal Christian band, but they have a female lead singer. If you've ever heard of Nightwish, they are in much the same vein (they're even from Finland!).

They're okay. Sound more like Sirenia.

I came across this one album on YouTube for the project Scandinavian Metal Praise. I think the song Take Me In is my favorite so far. It is definitely on my list of albums to get. This is another female-fronted band. Actually "band" is probably not the best word. It's more of a collaborative project and

This is awesome. I have sung Take me in many times in church. It's great to see a metal version. Singing Hallelujah is good too. I'm buying this album!

I can't express how happy I am at these suggestions. :)

Keep them coming.

Has anyone ever heard of Rachel Lampa, My Father's Heart? It is set to the melody of My Song is Love Unknown.

So beautiful.

a couple of Christian bands come to mind I like that I forgot about, their music isn't the most in your face type Christian music but I love all of their music.

brotherbrother.me/#532/custom_plain

brotherbrother, kinda a local unknown band even though they are growing popularity. They are a big hit amount Catholics in South Louisiana.

youtube.com/watch?v=vbLGTXvcxpY&feature=related

another christian band (i think) that isn't all in your face about their Christian message but their music is great.

davidthiesmusic.com/

another good guy this guy plays a lot of slow type good message type music. Warning don't listen to this if you are tired and want to stay awake

one last guy I listen to from time to time not so much now but

joshblakesley.com/

I think this guy is a louisiana native really good, but this guy does mostly praise and worship music.

these + matt mahar are the only Catholic Bands I listen to, I use to listen to a lot of the main stream praise and worship guys M W Smith, Chris Tomlin and so on and so forth.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.