What Christians Think About 1 in 10 People Living in Poverty

According to data from the Income and Poverty in the United States: 2014 report, the nation’s official poverty rate in 2014 was 14.8 percent, compared to 14.5 percent in 2013, meaning 46.7 million people were living in poverty last year compared to 45.3 in 2013. The U.S. government defines poverty based on annual household income and takes into account the household size. The median household income in the United States in 2014 fell slightly to $53,657 from $54,462 in 2013. The weighted average poverty threshold per individual during that same year was $12,071; $15,379 for two people; $18,850 for a family of three; and $24,230 for a family of four.
The Christian Post recently spoke with leading Christian non-profit organizations to find out how followers of Jesus Christ are working to eradicate poverty in America.

Read more at christianpost.com/news/what-christians-think-about-1-in-10-people-living-in-poverty-145479/#OJQg1isci5r0SL1x.99

Interesting question.

I agree with you; I believe that we should help people living in poverty.

But, it’s interesting to note, “poverty” in the U.S. government definition isn’t the same as “poverty” in the 1930s. Back then “poverty” meant somebody didn’t have the necessities of life (food, clothing, etc.); today most people in “poverty” have those things and more, and that income threshold they give doesn’t take into account noncash benefits (food and housing assistance, etc.).

I think one thing that’s important is to define poverty. The 40M number recently reported for poverty in the US is extremely high, and in a recent article I read they mentioned that most of the people in this number reported that have homes (and many own their own homes) with heat and A/C, cell phones, computers, refrigerators, microwaves, that only a small number have mentioned missing a single meal in a year, etc. They make less than what the US defines as the poverty line, which is how they get classified as being in poverty- but when you compare that to the abject poverty experienced by many people outside the US, or the real poverty you see in our homeless population, or in parts of Appalachia, or on some Indian reservations, I think a distinction needs to be made between true poverty where someone seriously is having trouble finding enough to eat or drink, having clothing to wear, shelter, etc. and simply making less than an amount of money that the government says defines you as being in poverty.

You’ve hit the nail on the head.

I’d say those 1 in 10 people living in poverty are Christians.

May God break our hearts for the poor and needy .

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.