What church would Jesus recognize?

If Jesus walked the earth in the flesh today, what church do you think he would recognize or fully connect to?
not looking for arguments…just honest answers.

If I left on a trip and was separated from my wife lets say for about 10 years she would look a little different but she would still be my wife. I guess my kids and family would look different also but still be my family, unless they move out and don’t associate with my family anymore then it would be harder for me to recognize them.

In fact depending upon how far they have moved, maybe they don’t eat or visit with my family at all anymore, they have drifted away from my family. I might not even be able to recognize them, but getting to know them again I could love them, I guess there would need to be some reconciliation, I might even introduce them to my family to do this, just so I could bring them back together with me.

God Bless
Scylla

Nice reply Scylla!

[quote=kayla]If Jesus walked the earth in the flesh today, what church do you think he would recognize or fully connect to?
[/quote]

In Catholic theology, Jesus does come to the earth in the flesh everyday - this is the Eucharist. Since He visits us all the time and so many of us spend hours and hours with Him in this way, I think He would recognize us immediately.

God bless,
RyanL

[quote=RyanL]In Catholic theology, Jesus does come to the earth in the flesh everyday - this is the Eucharist.
[/quote]

Instead of the phrase “in Catholic theology,” I would have chosen “in fact.” :thumbsup:

[quote=Genesis315]Instead of the phrase “in Catholic theology,” I would have chosen “in fact.”
[/quote]

Don’t they mean the same thing? :wink:

[quote=DavidFilmer]Don’t they mean the same thing? :wink:
[/quote]

They should. :thumbsup:

Kotton

The Catholic Church.

What, you don’t think Jesus would be Southern Baptist??? They date back to John the Baptist, see the name? and are just like the gfirst century Chruch!

Or maybe Mormon, tey restored his true teachigns and thats how it shoudl work!!!

( Not badmouhtign Mormons or Baptists, jujst this is a Catholic forum, so I felt whistful…)

[quote=RyanL]In Catholic theology, Jesus does come to the earth in the flesh everyday - this is the Eucharist.

[/quote]

In the flesh? I don’t think so, that would be Yukky. He is really present in the Eucharist, not physically present.

[quote=kayla]If Jesus walked the earth in the flesh today, what church do you think he would recognize or fully connect to?
[/quote]

**The Catholic (which means Universal) Church of course. He said in scripture that he would build his Church on Peter. Just read my quote and follow the link to read the CA Tracts on the papacy.:wink: **

He founded His Church and is here, Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity, really.

Probably a Catholic Church in an inner city location with a soup kitchen and a love for the poor and abandoned.

[quote=steve99]In the flesh? I don’t think so, that would be Yukky. He is really present in the Eucharist, not physically present.
[/quote]

In the Catholic Faith he IS physically present, along with divinely present, and mindly present.

We consume Him at Communion tasting bread and wine, not flesh and blood- but we consume flesh and blood nonetheless…

And I agree with RyanL, He is present in our Churches everyday, and the Holy Spirit guides the very Church that we are members of. He would recognize us immediately.

[quote=steve99]In the flesh? I don’t think so, that would be Yukky. He is really present in the Eucharist, not physically present.
[/quote]

You may read this, which will help you to understand why His being physically present is extremely important.

God bless,
RyanL

[quote=RyanL]You may read this, which will help you to understand why His being physically present is extremely important.

God bless,
RyanL
[/quote]

There were certainly differences of opinion. It apears Augustine did not believe in the physical presence.

"Let them then who eat, eat on, and them that drink, drink; let them hunger and thirst; eat Life, drink Life. That eating, is to be refreshed; but you are in such wise refreshed, as that that whereby you are refreshed, does not fail. That drinking, what is it but to live? Eat Life, drink Life; you will have life, and the Life is Entire. But then this shall be, that is, the Body and Blood of Christ shall be each man’s Life; if what is taken in the Sacrament visibly is in truth itself eaten spiritually, drunk spiritually. For we have heard the Lord Himself saying, It is the Spirit that gives life, but the flesh profits nothing. The words that I have spoken to you are Spirit and Life."

[quote=kaycee]It apears Augustine did not believe in the physical presence.
[/quote]

Really?
Augustine

I promised you [new Christians], who have now been baptized, a sermon in which I would explain the sacrament of the Lord’s table, which you now look upon and of which you last night were made participants. You ought to know that you have received what you are going to receive, and what you ought to receive daily. That bread which you see on the altar having been sanctified by the word of God is the body of Christ, That chalice, or rather, what is in that chalice, having been sanctified by the word of God, is the blood of Christ (Sermons 227 A.D. 411]).

What you see is the bread and the chalice, that is what your own eyes report to you. But what your faith obliges you to accept is that the bread is the body of Christ and the chalice is the blood of Christ. This has been said very briefly, which may perhaps be sufficient for faith, yet faith does not desire instruction (ibid. 272).

Really.

Augustine (Faustus 6.5): “while we consider it no longer a duty to offer sacrifices, we recognize sacrifices as part of the mysteries of Revelation, by which the things prophesied were foreshadowed. For they were our examples, and in many and various ways they all pointed to the one sacrifice which we now commemorate. Now that this sacrifice has been revealed, and has been offered in due time, sacrifice is no longer binding as an act of worship, while it retains its symbolical authority.”

True, Kaycee, we do not re-sacrafice Christ, but we share in the One True Sacrafice…

(re-read Augustine’s quote below, I think you’ll find it very clear his stance…)

[quote=E.E.N.S.]Really?
Augustine

I promised you [new Christians], who have now been baptized, a sermon in which I would explain the sacrament of the Lord’s table, which you now look upon and of which you last night were made participants. You ought to know that you have received what you are going to receive, and what you ought to receive daily. That bread which you see on the altar having been sanctified by the word of God is the body of Christ, That chalice, or rather, what is in that chalice, having been sanctified by the word of God, is the blood of Christ (Sermons 227 A.D. 411]).

What you see is the bread and the chalice, that is what your own eyes report to you. But what your faith obliges you to accept is that the bread is the body of Christ and the chalice is the blood of Christ. This has been said very briefly, which may perhaps be sufficient for faith, yet faith does not desire instruction (ibid. 272).
[/quote]

hmmmm.

Augustine writes “Before the coming of Christ, the flesh and blood of this sacrifice were foreshadowed in the animals slain; in the passion of Christ the types were fulfilled by the true sacrifice; after the ascension of Christ, this sacrifice is commemorated in the sacrament (Augustine, Contra Faustus, XX)

Augustine’s interprets John 6
"He that comes unto Me: this is the same as when He says, And he that believes on Me: and what He meant by, shall never hunger, the same we are to understand by, shall never thirst. By both is signified that eternal fulness, where is no lack."

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.