What computer operating system do you use?

• Windows
  • Mac
  • Linux
  • Other

0 voters

Stolen from this thread. I have Windows 10 on my work laptop because engineering applications are only really programmed for Windows. I had a Macbook Pro while I was in college (used Bootcamp for any necessary school programs). I like the look and feel of the Mac OS a lot more. So I use Ubuntu Linux at home. It’s free, which is great, because in the past I’ve pirated copies of Windows and I wanted to get out of that habit. I also don’t use my home computer for anything more than web browsing or basic word processing/coding, so I don’t need an expensive, intrusive OS like Windows anyways (I also hate the privacy invasion and forced updates). So what do yall use?

I have Windows 10 on my work computer right now. I’m hoping that, when I eventually switch jobs, I’ll be able to change OSs for work. I did have Windows 10 on my personal computer when I bought a Surface Book because it was really interesting, and there’s no way I’m buying another. The thing was a disaster from day one and died after only a year and a half. I could understand if it was some budget laptop, but that thing was $1500 before tax!

Anyways, right now my personal computer is running OS X. I can’t say I’m a huge fan of Apple’s “walled garden” mentality, but it’s not as bad on OS X as it is on iOS. At the very least, OS X provides a Unix-like OS without the instability that Linux tends to introduce. Overall, I’ve been pleased enough with OS X, and I’ve been using it since Snow Leopard. Well, Mavericks was a pain, but that may have just been my computer getting old.

I do miss having Linux and have been thinking of buying an external drive to install a distro to to play around with. I’m not sure which distro I’d get, though. I enjoyed Xubuntu, but frankly, the first thing I’d do is install KWin to have a nicer window manager, and that defeats the purpose of Xubuntu. I also enjoyed Manjaro, Linux Mint, and Fedora when I tried them. I’ll figure it out eventually.

I switched to Mac five years ago and I’m so glad I did. I don’t game but in my opinion that is the only thing Windows would be good for. And if I did game I’d just use Bootcamp.

I do use Windows and Linux but I run them as Virtual Machines. They run perfectly fine for my needs. If you have decent RAM and run on an SSD they are fast.

If I wasn’t using a Mac I’d seriously consider running macOS on a Hackintosh. My next choice would be Linux, but I still haven’t used a distro that I’d pick first as an OS. Windows would be at the last resort. Everything about it is awful other than that the OS itself (at least Windows 10) actually runs decently fast. Of course that speed comes with the fundamental problem of a poorly secured OS.

Aside from work I really only need an iPad. If I wasn’t working I’d seriously consider not replacing my current iMac.

I didn’t know if we could pick more than one option in the poll or not, but I will switch between using my Chromebook–which uses a Chromium operating system–and an older Windows 8 laptop that my husband wasn’t using and that I got up and running again.

I prefer the Chromebook, as it’s more lightweight for me.

There are some things that you can still do with Windows though, that you can’t do with a Chromebook, so I’ll switch back and forth between the two.

I’ll use one when the other one is recharging its battery, for example. :slightly_smiling_face:

Did the Chromebook come with Chromium OS, or did you switch to it from Chrome OS? If the latter, is there a reason you switched? To me, Chromium OS just seemed like the solution for those who didn’t already have Chrome OS pre-installed on their computer.

Hi ZMysticat,

The Chromebook comes like that with a Chromium operating system.

It also has a different version of the Chrome browser in it, than you use for Windows for example, which I thought was interesting.

I thought that the Chrome browser versions would be the same, with the same features. That’s what I mean, but they’re different.

I like the way that the browser is set up for Windows, as you seem to have more options for trying to change something when you’re trying to fix an issue that you’re having. With the Chromebook, you’re more limited in your choices.

I don’t necessarily think that the differences are because they made the browsers to fit the different operating systems? I didn’t notice/see that.

It just seems that with the updates for the Chromebook, they always seem to change some kind of feature for the browser.

As I like to say, It’s all Google, all of the time, with a Chromebook. :sunglasses: :wink:

Everything is built into it. You don’t have to worry about any antivirus/malware program because it’s already there, running in the background. You aren’t able to add any additional browsers to it.

People have confused it with other Google products, thinking it runs on an Android system.

The only downside to having one that I have found out over time, is that many companies don’t seem to pay much attention to Chromebook users when it comes to software downloads for certain things.

An example would be coupon programs. I like to use on-line coupon programs for grocery coupons, but they’re not compatible with the Chromebook, so I’ll use the Windows laptop for that.

You can use the Google Web Store to add in additional Apps that will work with the Chromebook and that are compatible for it.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.