What constitutes "denial" of Our Lord?

I think we all believe we would never deny God. I wouldn’t.
I have OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder), which includes making excessive numbers of The Sign of the Cross. I am alone, and have one friend who has been helping me. In trying to help me out of this religious OCD situation, which isn’t easy, they angrily lost patience and covered a Crucifix on wall (with their hand) when I was making Signs of the Cross - threatening that if I didn’t stop, they would leave. (leave the room or leave entirely ? I don’t know.) I stopped, in fear of being left alone. But then wondered, had I denied God? This, to me, would be a great sin. When I put my Advent Wreath on table, this friend wanted it moved, which I did (and was also uneasy about that either). Ironic, since they had given me that wreath. Please, could you help me and pray for me. Thanks, and God bless you.

Dear friend,

OCD is primarily a psychological matter rather than a spiritual one. You are repeating the Sign of the Cross out of fear. If you don’t keep repeating it, you are afraid that you have denied Christ and will go to hell. This is totally irrational. Jesus never said that we must continually make the Sign of the Cross.

You are in my prayers. If you want to contact me privately, just click on my name above.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.