What constitutes supporting someone else's sin?

for example, I have certain family members or friends who are either cohabitating or in same sex relationships and living together. or else divorced and remarried.

is something like going over to their houses for dinner considered supporting their living arrangements? I mean, most of them know I’m catholic and are familiar with the views on that sort of thing. I just find myself having to visit family members sometimes and I feel stuck in a situation which may or may not be the best thing. or if you invite them to your place along with their partner?

I obviously don’t want ot single single groups of people and particular sins. for example, if I’m friends with an atheist, I don’t approve of atheism necessarily just by associating with the person. but I guess being in the house of people is a bit more intimate

I just don’t know the best way to approach this

any thoughts?

Supporting a behiavour means actively providing the means to engage in that behiavour, like offering drugs or alchool to an addict ( or even money that he’ll probabily use for keep on his habit ).

So, unless you buy them Richard Dawkin’s books as christmast presents I guess you’re ok.

If you shun them, there is no way you can - gently & lovingly - influence them.

This is what the Catechism says about cooperating with sin:

1868 Sin is a personal act. Moreover, we have a responsibility for the sins committed by others when we cooperate in them:

• by participating directly and voluntarily in them;
  • by ordering, advising, praising, or approving them;
  • by not disclosing or not hindering them when we have an obligation to do so;
  • by protecting evil-doers.

Being friends with someone who has a lifestyle or philosophy that you know to be wrong is not cooperating with sin. Having a meal with them isn’t cooperating with sin. Nor is visiting and maintaining cordial relationships.

Good answer.

ok, I’m just trying to make sure I’m understanding this properly.

so to participate in their sin would be more like saying what they were doing was no big deal, or suggesting that someone move in with his or her parterner, etC… things like that?

the thing with visiting with them or not saying anything, in this day and age, kind of automatically makes it seem like you approve

Remember, Jesus ate with sinners. :smiley:

Yes, cooperating with sin, generally speaking, are the things that you do that either affirm the sin or make it easier for another to continue in sin.

the thing with visiting with them or not saying anything, in this day and age, kind of automatically makes it seem like you approve

I actually think it’s the opposite. Such arrangements are so common in “this day and age” that visiting wouldn’t give anyone a second thought as to whether you approve or not. Now, it might be different if you have young children and you want to be careful about sending mixed messages.

As for not saying anything, you don’t have to specifically mention that you disapprove. If you are living a faithful Catholic lfe and you aren’t shy about admitting that you adhere to Church teaching, they will know where you stand.

Love the sinner, hate the sin.

If we had to shun every sinner we would be living alone in cave for our entire life. Also we should not have a mirror in the cave.

Brilliantly put! :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.