What Constitutes Worship?

What really constitutes worship?

Joe:

Remember Isaiah’s vision (Isaiah 6 if I recall correctly), it shows the angels worshipping God. That is what true worship looks like.

Marsha

The act of loving God with all your heart, mind, soul, and strength and praising and glorifying him.

Offering sacrifice out of love and gratitude.

Hi,

Singing to Him, Praying to Him, Thanking Him for Every Day and All He has given me.:thumbsup:

Oh I almost forgot Obeying Him.:o

The act of loving God with all your heart, mind, soul, and strength and praising and glorifying him.

AMEN

I might add: and wanting to praise and glorify Him. Letting Him be God of us and being proud enough to humble ouselves before Him as His mere creatures. :thumbsup:

Worship is the unique reverence and adoration due to God.

I’m not trying to say anything silly about the saints here, just to say what the word means first off to me. For me, to be Christian, worship does have the element to it of worshipping Jesus. A Jew would not do this, for example. Also, it seems to me to be in the nature of how we are constituted that there is some social dimension to worship that ought to be fulfulled. I could babble some more, but those are the first that come to mind.

Jhn 4:23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.

Jhn 4:24 God [is] a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship [him] in spirit and in truth.

This really doesn’t answer the question. You’re just citing random Bible verses with the word “worship”…

Scripture is irrelevant to this discussion? Is that what you are saying?

Ah yea, another way to Worship God is to read His Word and renew our minds daily.:smiley: :thumbsup:

Is reading the Bible really a form of Worship?

What does the words used denote what Worship is:

H7812
שׁחה
shâchâh
shaw-khaw’
A primitive root; to depress, that is, prostrate (especially reflexively in homage to royalty or God): - bow (self) down, crouch, fall down (flat), humbly beseech, do (make) obeisance, do reverence, make to stoop, worship.

I really don’t see ‘Reading Scripture’ as part of the definition. Nor to I see “Singing Pslams” or “Singing Hymns”.

Neither does the Greek word contain these definitons:

G4352
προσκυνέω
proskuneō
pros-koo-neh’-o
From G4314 and probably a derivative of G2965 (meaning to kiss, like a dog licking his master’s hand); to fawn or crouch to, that is, (literally or figuratively) prostrate oneself in homage (do reverence to, adore): - worship.

Why wouldnt it be? He put it here for a reason. If you believe it is God’s inerrant Word. Im not talking about worshipping the book itself. But, God wants us to study His Word and when we do so it does renew our minds and strengthens our faith. I dont know I just feel that anything you do that glorifies God is worshipping Him. Mat be Im wrong that is just my take on it.:smiley:

read post #13

If Reading the Bible gives glory to God, then what does reading a Novel by Stephen King(Insert any author you want to here) give glory to?

Hi,
Thanks I did. I agree but Im sure God s definition is much broader then that. But if we are all doing all of the things mentioned above then I say:thumbsup: to everyone.:smiley:

Yes, it certainly can be depending on the state of your mind and spirit when you read it. There are many different ways to worship God.

Stephen King is not God and his works, although ocassionally interesting, are not the word of God. You don’t worship God when reading Scripture? You don’t feel or understand how it brings your mind and spirit closer to the mind and spirit of God?

i started a thread just now on what people of diffrent relgions do for worship…In my opinion, worship is some form of sacrafice, even if its taking time out of reading a book about your relgion all the way to have ritual scarfication

if it proves your relationship to the gods,goddess and everything in between. thats my opinion on what worship is

Amen!:smiley: No, really, I wanted to say the same thing. When we listen to God as God, our attitude is one of a creature before our Creator. Our positioning of ourself is correctly that of one giving the recognition due to our Creator.

I don’t think it would be the same to read the bible as an atheist would read it, to study how religion developed or something. But to read it in due reverence, listening to God, in submission, thankful that he has revealed himself to us, this is like worship. It is really hard to read the passage of the burning bush and not respond with worship.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.