What contribution has the catholic church made to the world? Are you proud of your cathoicity? Should the church publish the type of document I mention?

My dear friends

I think the catholic church and catholics have been put down too long. People believe the media and it is full of lies and hatred for the church. It only publicises the tiny bit of bad members do. It’s a conspiracy against he church. Catholics are ashamed and disillusioned with their faith and church all too often. I think this needs to stop. We need to be fiercely proud of our catholicity. Why should we be proud? We should be proud because of the immeasurable amount of good in every way the church and members have done good for the world. We should also stop and think hard about what the church offers us. What benefits do we get from it? We get huge benefits none of us can come close to appreciating.

I think the church needs to be a salesman telling the world about it’s immense and unmatched contribution to the world which is far, far greater than anything else/ And tell us and all not only that but what are the benefits of being a catholic. Perhaps speak to the ism’s on this too. We need to get our pride and confidence back after the disastrous century we just had. The church should put out a document like this in my opinion. It’s very sorely needed.

What are your thoughts?

God bless you friends:):):slight_smile:
John

Above anything else that I am in the world, I am proud to be a Catholic!!

I don’t even know where to start with the contributions the Church has given to the world. On a common level, most of the great thinkers, scientists and artists of the past 2000 years have been Catholics! We are the most charitable body in the world.

On a divine level, we are the body of Christ. We have preserved the truth for 2000 years We GAVE the world the word of God in the form of the bible that we compiled (well not us on this board personally, but you know what I mean).

On a personal level, because I am the recipient of Christ’s mercy daily and I am able to share that mercy with those around me in my “little way.”

Unfortunately relativism has obscured the historical facts of us being the FIRST and ONLY Church of Christ!! Most people do not know this and so they think any church they stumble into is fine and dandy. Above boasting any other contribution, I think we need to remind the Christians of the world that the holy spirit worked through the Catholic Church to create the bible!

A great book for this topic “How the Catholic Church Built Western Civilization.”

youtube.com/watch?v=Vs6qZd_xP1w

Indeed, the mainstream media and secular academics delight in mocking Catholicism. Which is why I’m looking forward to this new TV documentary;

wordonfire.org/The-Catholicism-Project/Trailer.aspx

As an agnostic, this is not so much a matter of faith, but of presenting an historical balance.

edit: the above poster beat me in posting a link to the Catholics Come Home video.

My dear friend

Very good. Almost all catholics don’t know this and non catholics know nothing except the treacherous and evil lies that abound about the church. Catholics have been beaten up so long they need to hear these things and so do non catholics. We need to get our pride, confidence and courage back. Such a document if produced well in easy to understand language and properly promoted could be a great help to all.

God bless you:thumbsup::slight_smile:
John

I will check that soon dear friend. God bless. John:)

I will ckeck it dear friend. We need positivity, pride and confidence do us catholics. God bless. John:)

My dear friends

I found a connection of sorts I have with our wonderful Pope. He was born on Holy Saturday. My patron saint, St Gemma, died on Holy Sarurday 1903. My bithday is April 11 like my patrons feast day and I only found out about my patron a few months ago when she came into my life on these forums. This year her feast day and my birthday were on Holy Saturday. Holy Saturday is the connection and St Gemma. St Gemma said the world would end this century. I wonder ??? Maybe I should email the Pope as we await the second coming and resurrection???

Just some info of interest to me and maybe someone else.

May God bless us all:thumbsup::):):slight_smile:
John

Catholics are ashamed and disillusioned with their faith and church all too often

Fallacy of generalization.

I agree. Catholics themselves often don’t realize what their church has done for civilization. But, we shouldn’t present in such a way that it would seem that we are boasting. That is not the image of the Catholic Church, and I know that other christian denominations would see that as an act of unjust pride. We simply have to make people aware of all the good things that the Church has done; not neccesarily in a proud or boastful way.

I remember when I went for a one-day music camp thing, we had a 1 h perios of music history. I could tell that many had no clue that the Church had anything to do with music. Unfortuantely, the lady who presenting apparently didn’t have a very good view of the Church. I could’ve screamed. I mean, they were discussing the middle ages, and you know, with all the corruption involved back then she may have had the wrong idea… so I don’t blame her entirely; but I couldn’t even talk to her after class 'cause she had another one right after. I hope she comes to see the light someday! :frowning:

Eucharisted-

What type of work did you do when the sex abuse scandals were being reported nightly on the news?

I ask because this was a very difficult time for me. In the workplace, I was faced with questions that broke my heart…that judged my humanity. I absolutely can’t believe I was just an anomaly…I think a lot of practicing adult Catholics felt some “disillusion” at that time. I am just thankful that most people now accept that Holy Mother Church should not be judged based on the actions of a handful of priests who also happened to be really bad people.

Love this video and others by CatholicsComeHome.org. Here’s a PDF of documentation to back up the information in this video:

Factual Documentation (pdf)

My dear friend Eucharisted

I have noticed you have an overcritical spirit. I say this with charity. I hope you can overcome it. I am posting a few pointers from St Josemaria Escriva for you. Don’t take this the wrong way. I think your a top bloke, But like us all you have faults and I’m just pointing yours out for your benefit having known you here for a good while now. I pray for you, you know. God bless you. John:thumbsup:

http://www.escrivaworks.org/images/misc/pixtrans.gif442http://www.escrivaworks.org/images/misc/pixtrans.gifNever think badly of anyone, not even if the words or conduct of the person in question give you good grounds for doing so.

443http://www.escrivaworks.org/images/misc/pixtrans.gifDon’t make negative criticism: if you can’t praise, say nothing.

444http://www.escrivaworks.org/images/misc/pixtrans.gifNever speak badly of your brother, not even when you have plenty of reasons. Go first to the Tabernacle, and then go to the priest your father, and tell him also what is worrying you.

And no one else.

446http://www.escrivaworks.org/images/misc/pixtrans.gifIf you are so weak, is it surprising that others too have their weaknesses?

448http://www.escrivaworks.org/images/misc/pixtrans.gifIt’s easier said than done. With that cutting, hatchet-like tongue, have you ever tried, even by chance, to do ‘well’ what, according to your ‘considered’ opinion, others do less well?

449http://www.escrivaworks.org/images/misc/pixtrans.gifCall it by its name: grumbling, gossiping, back-biting, mischief making, tale-bearing, scandal-mongering, intrigue…, slander…, treachery?

Self-appointed critics sitting in judgment easily end up as ‘gossiping old maids’!

This scripture quote is the goal for christians-

1Cor.13
1] If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.
2] And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.
3] If I give away all I have, and if I deliver my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing.
4] Love is patient and kind; love is not jealous or boastful;
5] it is not arrogant or rude. Love does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful;
6] it does not rejoice at wrong, but rejoices in the right.
7] Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
8] Love never ends; as for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away.
9] For our knowledge is imperfect and our prophecy is imperfect;
10] but when the perfect comes, the imperfect will pass away.
11] When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child; when I became a man, I gave up childish ways.
12] For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall understand fully, even as I have been fully understood.
13] So faith, hope, love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

My dear friend

There is god pride and bad pride. I think the catholic church and catholics have been bashed so long many have started to believe the lies. We should be exceedingly proud of our church and faith. We should shout it from the rooftops if we’re able It’s a great victory for satan that most catholics are ashamed of their faith and have no confidence. Many have left the church because of this. The church should fight back. Satan has had his day. There is a great need for most catholics to know this. Most don’t know what the church is, it’s glorious history and the benefits it offers. How can you love something you don’t know?

May God bless you:thumbsup::slight_smile:
John

My dear friend

Your right. But it’s been more than this scandal that’s rocked catholics. The church needs to fight back.

John

My dear friend

Thank you for that.

John

I read through the New Advent page on Science and the Church, but found no mention of Bishop Robert Grosseteste, who many scholars claim is greatly responsible for the development of the scientific method.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Grosseteste

I mention this because militant atheists will scoff if you tell them that the Church developed the scientific method.

My dear friend

Thank you for that. I would also doubt the intelligence of atheisrts. The way I see it is if you have intelligence and you conclude there is no God then you are severely lacking in intelligence because the more intelligent ou are the more you should realise that any thought, thing, question or experience will lead one to the ultimate answer when thought through that there is a God, and more specufically - God is Love. I think atheists need more humility given they have got the whole thing so terribly wrong. They need to acknowledge they have soiled finite minds incapable of finding the ultimate truth. Then they may have a chance of receiving faith.

John

I am proud of the Catholic Church. Despite the world’s brutal mockery, the Church has had the courage to endure without compromising its morals. Christ Himself was mocked but did not cave into the pressures of society. Instead, He bore His suffering with dignity and humility. Now, it is our turn to take part in the Lord’s trials. God bless the Church, and may it always shine like a beacon in a darkening world.

My dear friend ( the reply is for all, not just you )

I appreciate what you say and you are right. There will always be conflict. The prince of this world never sleeps. It is our duty to , in whatever way we can, advance the church. Even in such a hostile environment. We must fight for our Lord. Souls are perishing by the 1,000’s every day. We need to counter satans crusaders in the media and everywhere and defend our Holy Mother Church, and promote her in the most effective manner possible. This is all a part of the churches mission - to save souls. We are soldiers at war. We carry our weapons of the gospel and prayer, and we fight for souls. Satan is fighting hard but God is on our side. So why should we fear or worry. We will win in the end. The victory will be ours. Each of us should have it as their goal to drag as many souls to heaven with us as possible, by whatever means we can. We’ve been kicked around too long. It’s time to fight back for all catholics. I hope the new crsade for souls will be led from the top, and the soldiers will listen and do as the general commands. The harvest is ripe. People are realising they have spiritual needs more and more. Let us reap souls in whatever way we can. This morning no one stayed after mass for euvharistic adoration so there was none.
Maybe our Blessed Lord was waiting to save a few souls if people could pray that hour. I thirst- He said. He wants souls, but He relies on us to get them for Him. If you are His friend you will do His will. We only have to cooperate with grace. How hard can that be? We just say es and God does all the work. The church needs to be kick starte again. We could see a new golden age soon. I hope we do?

God bless you and all:thumbsup::slight_smile:
John

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.