What counts as sin and how to break free?

I know most of the big sins (I think) but, I doubt that I know all the sins that the Catholic Church says are sins (it is still a bit foriegn to me) I was wondering if ya’ll knew a place where I could find out what all is considerd a sin and classifaction (Mortal or veinal) and why (both why a sin and classifaction)?

And I am farlly sure I have gotten into the habit of some of them (saddly :frowning: ) and would like some help in finding a way out of them.

Thanks for the help and god bless.

this helped me out…

http://www.catholic.org/frz/examen/

Malia

[quote=Feanaro’s Wife]this helped me out…

http://www.catholic.org/frz/examen/

Malia
[/quote]

Malia, this is an excellent guide to confession. Thank you for sharing it!

[quote=Montie Claunch]I know most of the big sins (I think) but, I doubt that I know all the sins that the Catholic Church says are sins (it is still a bit foriegn to me) I was wondering if ya’ll knew a place where I could find out what all is considerd a sin and classifaction (Mortal or veinal) and why (both why a sin and classifaction)?
[/quote]

Open up your Catechism of the Catholic Church and study all of what is written from paragraphs 2051 through 2557. This study will take you through the Ten Commandments. Accept in your heart what the Church teaches as being sinful. If you have difficulty understanding what is being taught in the CCC, ask for clarification from the catechists in your RCIA program, a priest, or a spiritual director. Don’t get hung up on whether something is a mortal sin or a venial sin. :slight_smile:

After you have studied what the CCC teaches about the Ten Commandments, pray for the Holy Spirit to convict you of your sins and listen to your conscience. Then confess to your priest whatever sins you have committed and let your priest help you to form your conscience.

I am farlly sure I have gotten into the habit of some of them (saddly ) and would like some help in finding a way out of them.

Bad habits are vices, and bad habits can be replaced with good habits (virtues). Only by cooperating with the grace of God can we change a vice into a virtue. Saving faith is the complete confidence that God gives us the sufficient grace to overcome our vices. A person that thinks that habitual sinning cannot be overcome has no saving faith at all!No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your strength, but with the temptation will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.
1Cor. 10:13

Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am tempted by God”; for God cannot be tempted with evil and he himself tempts no one; but each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire. Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin; and sin when it is full-grown brings forth death.
James 1:13-15

"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."
2Cor 12:9We must walk the narrow path to get into heaven, and that journey begins by taking the first steps.

Don’t expect to become a holy saint overnight! If you stumble and fall, pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and keep on walking up path that leads to life. Keep your eyes focused on Jesus, not your sins, and you will surely be saved.Enter by the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is easy, that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard, that leads to life, and those who find it are few.
Matt7:13-14

[quote=joeysmom]Malia, this is an excellent guide to confession. Thank you for sharing it!
[/quote]

You’re welcome. Someone here on the forums provided it when I had a question about my first confession earlier this year. It helped me out so much I wanted to pass it on:)

Malia

One priest said that a list of grave sins would be bad for the scrupulous, but I find that not knowing what sins are grave makes me more nervous, especially categorized under the 10 Commandments. I know they require sufficient reflection (how much is that though) and knowledge of its gravity (what all is grave?) so I know that if I understand whether I had the other 2 components, I could guess whether it was a grave sin I did knowingly and with consideration.

closed #7

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.