What Counts as Torture?

I've been debating Catholic friends and I've explained that the Church is against torture. But I'm wondering what counts as torture (in the Church's opinion)? Waterboarding?

Thanks,
ClemtheCatholic

[quote="ClemtheCatholic, post:1, topic:323243"]
I've been debating Catholic friends and I've explained that the Church is against torture. But I'm wondering what counts as torture (in the Church's opinion)? Waterboarding?

Thanks,
ClemtheCatholic

[/quote]

The definition of torture is very context dependent. Sleep deprivation might be torture if used as a "breakdown" technique; but not as part of interrogation. The use of a hood would be acceptable in a situation where control was imperative, but not in a prolonged situation. Etc.

As such, it is unlikely you would find a list of morally acceptable vs. unacceptable practices.

ICXC NIKA

[quote="ClemtheCatholic, post:1, topic:323243"]

Thanks,
ClemtheCatholic

[/quote]

From the Churches point of view, although I don't know if she has made such a definitive statement as this, but drawing from various church documents, torture would be anything that wilfully, violently(either physical or psychological) and unjustly infringes on the human dignity of another in a calculated way. Waterboarding would certainly fall within this category. I don't see how torture would fall under any concept of just war policy or self defence either. Hope that helps

[quote="Theophorus, post:3, topic:323243"]
From the Churches point of view, although I don't know if she has made such a definitive statement as this, but drawing from various church documents, torture would be anything that wilfully, violently(either physical or psychological) and unjustly infringes on the human dignity of another in a calculated way. Waterboarding would certainly fall within this category. I don't see how torture would fall under any concept of just war policy or self defence either. Hope that helps

[/quote]

Great description. Just one example i could think of would be bullying in all its forms.

Thanks guys!! :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.