What did Jesus mean by this?

In the Gospel reading for Sat 23-Nov, in Luke 20 Jesus says:

35 but those who are judged worthy of a place in the other world and in the resurrection from the dead do not marry
36 because they can no longer die, for they are the same as the angels, and being children of the resurrection they are children of God.

I ponder why Jesus said, “the dead do not marry because they can no longer die”. What does he mean by this? The implication seems to be people marry because they are going to die?

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Well if God is satisfied, in this respect, then what is the need for a next generation? Considering they are: “the children of God, being the children of the resurrection”.

In our current state we are mortal and if we did not reproduce, the human race would go extinct.

After the resurrection this imperative no longer apply since Jesus said we would be inmortal.
There is no sense in reproducing is there?
The continuation of the species no longer is required.

When we awaken from being dead, we are no longer a “natural human body” (psychikon soma), but a “spiritual body” (pneumatikon soma).

The pneumatikon soma is designed to live forever. But the life is spiritual, not natural (biological). There are no cells that divide to compensate for death, since the soma will never again face death; so there is no division of cells to provide for reproduction.

ICXC NIKA

This past week we discussed this passage at our Bible study group on Mondays. It was interesting to hear the answers.

Glenda

Angels don’t marry, do they?
Its one thing to no longer die, its another to be the same as angels (ie in terms of absence of human nature: hunger and the likes)

You may go to live in Los Angeles; but you will never be an angel. Angels and Human Beings are two distinct classes of being.

A human being requires a human body, and in eternity, we will be fitted with the spiritual body, pneumatikon soma. The angelic being requires no body and was never designed for one.

ICXC NIKA

I am indeed very greatful for the responses posted, thank you so much. Much to think about and mull over. And it makes sense now.

Thanks again and blessings to you all.

To me it means people need to reproduce to keep the species alive on earth and in Heaven since no one dies, no one needs to reproduce, no need to keep the species going by reproducing since no one dies.

lol(^^) that’s disappointing(’’)

Didn’t want to look that pneuma stuff up but now am forced to…

Not to me.

I once wanted to live in LA, but never to be an angel. I’d miss being embodied too much!

Don’t care to lose my head, eyes, limbs, nose or skin!

I long for the bodily resurrection so I can be held bodily by our LORD, and cling to Him bodily, and feel it!

Didn’t want to look that pneuma stuff up but now am forced to…

Don’t worry about it.

Soma = body.

Pneumatikon = literally image (ikon) of the spirit (pneuma) (from NT Greek).

The pneumatikon soma is a body that is the image of the spirit.

Conversely, psychikon soma (your natural body) is a body that is the image or ikon, of your psyche or natural soul (life).

Hey it’s all Greek to me!:slight_smile:

ICXC NIKA.

D-R Bible, Haydock Commentary:

Ver. 36. The children of resurrection; i.e. of the just, who shall rise to a happy resurrection: not but that the wicked shall also rise, but to their condemnation and greater misery. (Witham) — Jesus Christ begins with stating the wide difference between the state of things in this mortal life and in that which is to come: that marriage necessary here, will be unnecessary hereafter. For, in this life, they are children of men, subject to death, and therefore under the necessity of continuing their race by generation; but in the next life, they shall be children of resurrection, living for eternity, never to die, and consequently sons of God, and immortal. Resurrection is a kind of regeneration to immortality. Hence St. Paul explains to our Saviour’s rising again, these words of the 2nd Psalm: Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee. (Calmet)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.