What did Jesus mean here?

What did Jesus mean when he said this in John;14
"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father."

Now lets see how many different answers I get with this.

Hi Storm,

First, let’s translate this into English.

Truly, I say to you, “He who believes in me will perform the same works as I, and he will perform even greater works, because I go to my Father.”

It means that, after will have ascended into heaven, he will send the Spirit who will enable the disciples to perform even greater works than he has performed.

Verbum

Jesus was only able to reach a small part of Palestine with His message. His Apostles took the gospel all over known civilization, and now it has spread to all the world.

Sorry but could you give me the exact place to look. Is it the Gospel of John or 1 or 2 John and what chapter and verse?

What do you mean, what does it mean?
Does He not tell us in the next lines.

John;14 verse 12

Yes, what did he mean?
everyone gives a different translation. What does it mean to you?

Ditto

D-R Bible, Hatdock Commentary:

Ver. 12. And greater than these shall he do, because I go to the Father. Christ speaks of the greatness of visible miracles, and tells them, that after his ascension, they shall be enabled, even to do greater miracles than he has yet shewn to the world. He would give this power to his disciples, who were to convert the world; and perhaps the greatest miracle of all, was the conversion of the whole world. (Witham) — Behold another proof of my divinity, viz. the wonderful miracles those perform, who believe in me. An impostor may seduce the vulgar with false miracles, or, perhaps, with real wonderful prodigies; but he cannot confer that power on others. Behold, I have performed miracles by my own power, without any deceit, and always with a sovereign authority. I have given those, who believe in me, power to work in my name, as great, and even greater miracles, than I have done myself. All this I have done, to shew you, that I am equally God with the Father. I truly am so, then, for it would be impossible for God to assist an impostor, a liar, and an enemy to his honour and glory. (Calmet)

whats this? D-R Bible, Hatdock Commentary:

The Douey-Rheims Bible (which predates the King James Bible)which also contains an excellent commentary by the Rev. Leo Haydock.

Thanks!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.