What did Jesus say about his Church?

I dont know scipture well enough, but was wondering if someone had a list of things Jesus said His Church would be.

Does someone have a list, or link to a website that does?

Thanks in Advance.

Andre.

[quote=Magicsilence]I dont know scipture well enough, but was wondering if someone had a list of things Jesus said His Church would be.

Thanks in Advance.

Andre.
[/quote]

Andre,

Actually, I don’t think Jesus said a lot explicitly about His Church that is recorded in the Gospels. You will find some material in Matthew 16:18-19 and 18:15-20. Probably there is more that I am missing.

• Liberian

I understand that any time Jesus describes the “kingdom of God”, He is describing His Church.

The Mustard Seed describes how the Church will grow. (Mt. 13:31-32)

The Parable of the Weeds describes how there will be impure clergy and laity in the Church (Mt. 13:24-30).

NotWorthy

[quote=NotWorthy]I understand that any time Jesus describes the “kingdom of God”, He is describing His Church.

The Mustard Seed describes how the Church will grow. (Mt. 13:31-32)

The Parable of the Weeds describes how there will be impure clergy and laity in the Church (Mt. 13:24-30).

NotWorthy
[/quote]

NotWorthy,

That is an extremely good point. If you connect “Kingdom of God” with “Church,” then Jesus says an awful lot about it. In fact, He says enough about it that rather than make a separate list I would just go start reading the Gospels.

• Liberian

The “Kingdom of God” is one of the main points of Matthew’s Gospel.

That, and of course, that the Pharisees are “Bad”. I mean, Matthew really had it in for the Pharisees.

NotWorthy

[quote=Magicsilence]I dont know scipture well enough, but was wondering if someone had a list of things Jesus said His Church would be.

Thanks in Advance.

Andre.
[/quote]

Jesus says a lot about the Kingdom of God but I think the only place he specifically mentions “Church” is when he asks the disciples who they think he (Jesus) is and Peter says, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the Living God.” Jesus then establishes his Church on Peter and his statement.

It seems Jesus is saying that His Church is those who believe He is the Messiah. Jesus also mentions that the Church will last forever.

peace

-Jim

Thanks in Advance.

Andre.
[/quote]

Off the top of my head:

1. That His Church was to be built upon Peter.

2. That He would remain with His Church.

3. That His Church would be guided by the Holy Spirit.

4. That His Church would not fail in it’s mission or be destroyed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.