What did Joseph know about Christ - did he know about the Passion?

My son just asked me if Joseph knew that Christ would die on a cross. I told him that I did not know. I realized that I really do not know what Joseph knew about Christ. He knew that he was God; I wonder what he knew while he raised Christ (of what was to come). I have only been studying my faith for 2 years…I have much to learn. Can you provide some insight?

Matt 1:20-21 says, “But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost. And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name Jesus: for he shall save his people from their sins.” Obviously, Joseph knew Jesus was conceived by the Holy Spirit (and, therefore, He is the Son of God), and that He would save His people from sin. Whether he understood how this would be done is not known, though he was with Mary when she presented Jesus at the Temple (see Luke 2:22-39). Hope this helps!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.