what did pope francis really say about cohabitating couples?

everyone seems to be in an uproar about some recent remarks by pope francis on the validity of marriage and cohabitation. but what I try to find an official source, I’m not coming up with much, just blogs or peoples’ opinions or really twisted media portrayals.

can anyone provide me with something legitimate, I have a friend who is quite upset about it. she thinks he is changing doctrine.

You should know that no Pope can change doctrine. Pope Francis recent letter “Amoris Laetitia” after the Synod on the Family mentioned the issues of divorce and remarriage, civil marriage, and cohabitation.

Summary here:

focusoncampus.org/content/a-summary-of-amoris-laetitia-the-joy-of-love
A Summary of Amoris Laetitia (The Joy of Love)

Full text here:

w2.vatican.va/content/francesco/en/apost_exhortations/documents/papa-francesco_esortazione-ap_20160319_amoris-laetitia.html
Pope Francis’ Apostolic Exhortation AMORIS LAETITIA “The Joy of Love”

I do know that, ok, so there hasn’t been anything new recently. just wanted to check.

it’s something I amtrying to explain to my friend

The Pope was using an analogy when he mentioned cohabitation. But people missed that.

He was talking about married people who do not live with fidelity to one another, he contrasted them to some people who sinfully cohabitate but have a very loving relationship of respect with one another.

I believe he wasn’t condoning cohabitation, but he was blasting unfaithful spouses.

God Bless!

Sorry, but no matter how ‘faithful’ a cohabitating couple are to each other, they cannot be compared to those who are married.

and how one even use the word faithful? There’s nothing to be faithful to, since they didn’t make any vows.

This doesn’t cut it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.