What did Pope John Paul 2 mean by this

Pope John Paul II, who commented on the Third Fatima Secret while speaking in Fulda, Germany:

**“It should be sufficient for all Christians to know this: if there is a message in which it is written that the oceans will flood whole areas of the earth, and that from one moment to the next millions of people will perish, truly the publication of such a message is no longer something to be so much desired.” **

Somehow, I have my doubts the terrible third secret, which some claim was so terrible, it would always remain secret, was just the assassination attempt…?

Many catholics will be martyred this is happening and will only get worse. The third world war.

I think it means that it would not be wise to announce such catastrophes in which nothing can be done to save people or avoid harm. Which is different than warning people when a tornado is coming or a volcano is expected to erupt and people can do something to avoid harm and save their lives and property.

:popcorn:

So, if a Govt knew some very big disaster was imminent, and knew the damage would be widespread, it would be OK for them to withhold this information from the public for the sake of not causing a public panic? (not referring to natural type disasters though).

In the case of a financial collapse or something along those lines, I can see why they would want to keep the public in the dark for as long as possible, but Fatima is different, I believe Mary intended for the public to be told about this…if they announced some huge disaster was going to happen within the next 5-10 yrs unless people changed their ways and started obeying Gods laws over mans laws, I think that would make a HUGE difference, I think if people knew it was definitely coming, they would take actions to prevent it, even if it meant changing their lives.

It is hard to comment without reading the whole article. Do you have a link to a source?

I think this is the link…if not, there are many others who covered this.

fatima.org/thirdsecret/fulda.asp

Sorry, fatima.org is not a reputable site to get information from. See here for a review:
catholicculture.org/culture/reviews/view.cfm?recnum=41
and I did not readily find a reliable source material.

If, for the sake of discussion, we assume at least the "“verbatim report” is accurate, this is what it says:
The Holy Father was asked, “What about the Third Secret of Fatima? Should it not have already been published by 1960?”

Pope John Paul II replied: "Given the seriousness of the contents, my predecessors in the Petrine office diplomatically preferred to postpone publication so as not to encourage the world power of Communism to make certain moves.

“On the other hand, it should be sufficient for all Christians to know this: if there is a message in which it is written that the oceans will flood whole areas of the earth, and that from one moment to the next millions of people will perish, truly the publication of such a message is no longer something to be so much desired.”

The Pope continued: “Many wish to know simply from curiosity and a taste for the sensational, but they forget that knowledge also implies responsibility. They only seek the satisfaction of their curiosity, and that is dangerous if at the same time they are not disposed to do something, and if they are convinced that it is impossible to do anything against evil.”

At this point the Pope grasped a Rosary and said: “Here is the remedy against this evil. Pray, pray, and ask for nothing more. Leave everything else to the Mother of God.”

The Holy Father was then asked: “What is going to happen to the Church?” He answered: “We must prepare ourselves to suffer great trials before long, such as will demand of us a disposition to give up even life, and a total dedication to Christ and for Christ … With your and my prayer it is possible to mitigate this tribulation, but it is no longer possible to avert it, because only thus can the Church be effectively renewed. How many times has the renewal of the Church sprung from blood! This time, too, it will not be otherwise. We must be strong and prepared, and trust in Christ and His Mother, and be very, very assiduous in praying the Rosary.”
Seems like an assassination attempt on the life of a Pope from a communist block country fits.

How does an assassination attempt fit in with this part…

“On the other hand, it should be sufficient for all Christians to know this: if there is a message in which it is written that the oceans will flood whole areas of the earth, and that from one moment to the next millions of people will perish, truly the publication of such a message is no longer something to be so much desired.”

Besides the assassination attempt was decades ago, really has no impact on the world today.

I also want to add, there was literally nothing the individual person could do to try and avert a simple assassination attempt on one man, that would fall on just a handful of people, the average joe down the street could have no bearing on the outcomes of such a thing.

Because I think you are reading it wrong. The Pope does not seem to me to be saying “the third secret says the oceans will flood”, he is using hyperbole to say that if a secret will cause mass panic, it may be best left unsaid until it happens.

Sorry, don’t really understand this part.

Now, what do you think would have happened if the assassination attempt had succeeded?

TheDoctor, I agree with you. I went on that fatima.org website before and was shocked ( not in a good way ) at what I seen.
Pope John Paul ll believe it was Blessed Virgin Mary that guided the bullet’s path that saved his life during the assassination attempt.
I believe that the third secret was linked with Pope John Paul ll

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.