What did you spend on your or your daughter's wedding?

We’re recently married - I have no idea firm idea of what was spent, because my in-laws insisted on paying (and having the party, we wanted to elope with nothing special).

My dress was $300 from J Crew (white tea length bridesmaid’s dress), shoes $70, undergarment $100, veil was a splurge at $120, handbeaded and sewn mantilla style off of ebay.

DH’s outfit ran about the same - $200 suit from Zara, splurged on an $80 dress shirt that fit perfectly, his dad paid for his shoes, we rented a vest/tie.

MIL paid for flowers/photography, each about $900.

FIL paid for the DJ, no clue what it cost.

DH’s grandparents insisted on paying for fancy cars (BMWs). No idea as to cost, we repeatedly told them it wasn’t necessary.

Reception was 5800, split between the inlaws, and covered a cocktail/appetizer reception for 120, and a 5 course dinner/dancing/cake for 40, with lots of wine. This is in Europe though, and they don’t gouge as terribly for weddings.

Invites were about $50 from staples, plus the cost of ink. So many people asked where we had them done, but I did them myself. Same with programs.

Our rings were from ice.com - about $200 each. We didn’t take a honeymoon.

We would have rather have had the money for a house, children, etc. But the rest of the family REALLY wanted a party, and we were continuously reminded that it wasn’t about us. Still, it was a lot of fun.

Well, DH and my wedding was probably about 15K total. I’m not sure of exact figures because both our parents paid for it :). That said - we have a lot of family and friends and ended up inviting 425+ people. In the end, we had less than 200 guests.

Looking back now, I would have cut a lot of costs, except for the reception. We had a beautiful reception with the best food I’ve ever eaten at a wedding (and I’m not just biased - lots of people have said that to me) :). The cost was about $20/person for the reception hall and food. Where the rest of the money went, I’m not sure - because everything else were small things, or at least it seems that way now.

I’ve been to weddings that were WAY less expensive and had some of the best times there and to weddings that cost the same or more and had okay times, so I know it’s definitely worth it to save if you can :).

Lucky you! I was so excited and happy to be married that I had practically no appetite! :stuck_out_tongue: We did get to take the leftover cake home, and that was so delicious! We ordered it at Walmart, and I think I might order just the top tier again for our 5th anniversary next year :smiley:

My parents paid $3,200 for meals and drinks for 60 people. My husband and I spent about $3,000 on the rest of the things for the wedding ( my dress was only $300 at David’s Bridal ).

We spent another $7,000 on the honeymoon! Yes crazy! My husband was much more excited about the honeymoon than the wedding. We went to London, Amsterdam, and Southern Italy and stayed in hotels the whole time with rental cars.

Haha! Lucky YOU! I was so famished (but very excited and happy as well), but I barely fit into my dress (thanks to gaining a few pounds in my last semester in college - months before the wedding), so after eating about 1/2 the meal, I had to stop because I could barely breathe! :wink: We only were able to eat the one bite of cake too, because we were so busy mingling with everyone. We had our anniversary cake this past July and it was good, but because it was gluten-free, it was quite crumbly!

Small wedding, 2 bridesmaids, 2 groomsmen
made my own bouquets, buttoneers, etc and flower arrangements for the altar(total $100 for all).
All bridesmaids dresses were bought at Kohls 1/2 price (total $65 for 2 dresses).
Got my dress on ebay brand new designer dress…$45.99 and $20 shipping…they threw in a free crinolin.
Rehearsal dinner…at favorite restaurant $113.
Musician fee: $100
Pastors fee $100
Reception at a local tourist attraction: $800
DJ at reception: free (it was my wedding gift)
Alcohol (had to bring my own) <$100
Printed my own wedding invitations from a kit: $15
tuxes (3 of them)$135
shoes…on clearance!!! under $20 for all 3 pairs combined!

Total was under $1650 and we had a great time!

The biggest savings were the dresses and the flowers…
I made the mothers corsages, buttoneers for the guys, bouquet for the Holy Family, brides bouquet and 2 bridesmaids along with 2 vase arrangements with roses for the altar and 2 huge vases with gladioli for in front of the lecterns. Pastor saw me making them and was astonished I could do it so nicely and so cheaply… Attached Thumbnails forums.catholic.com/attachmen…d=11 67422144 forums.catholic.com/attachmen…d=11 67422144

Did I mention I am the Queen of Cheap??? Seriously my kids call me the Clearance Queen!

Price of weddings, cohabitaion

Did you post this over in Family Life too???

Small wedding, 2 bridesmaids, 2 groomsmen
made my own bouquets, buttoneers, etc and flower arrangements for the altar(total $100 for all).
All bridesmaids dresses were bought at Kohls 1/2 price (total $65 for 2 dresses).
Got my dress on ebay brand new designer dress…$45.99 and $20 shipping…they threw in a free crinolin.
Rehearsal dinner…at favorite restaurant $113.
Musician fee: $100
Pastors fee $100
Reception at a local tourist attraction: $800
DJ at reception: free (it was my wedding gift)
Alcohol (had to bring my own) <$100
Printed my own wedding invitations from a kit: $15
tuxes (3 of them)$135
shoes…on clearance!!! under $20 for all 3 pairs combined!

Total was under $1650 and we had a great time!

The biggest savings were the dresses and the flowers…
I made the mothers corsages, buttoneers for the guys, bouquet for the Holy Family, brides bouquet and 2 bridesmaids along with 2 vase arrangements with roses for the altar and 2 huge vases with gladioli for in front of the lecterns. Pastor saw me making them and was astonished I could do it so nicely and so cheaply… Attached Thumbnails forums.catholic.com/attachmen…d=11 67422144 forums.catholic.com/attachmen…d=11 67422144

Did I mention I am the Queen of Cheap??? Seriously my kids call me the Clearance Queen!

The first time, whatever it cost for a license way back when. The second time (just this June) about forty bucks.

We tried taking Fadda out for dinner afterward but he was already booked.

Hey! Stop looking at me like that. At least we were able to buy a house.

We spent about $5,000 for our wedding - DH foot most of the bill. The same reception would have been much more anywhere else-we were lucky to have it in a smaller town and got the hall for I think $500 plus whatever the food cost, I think $2,000. The food was the most expensive part. We had a full dinner and beverages and were able to bring our own wine.

The reception was actually at DH’s grandma’s retirement home in their nice hall, which was convenient for her when she got tired, one of her grandsons just walked her home. :thumbsup:

We could have spent much less by using the church’s basement cement floored meeting hall, an early afternoon wedding and having snacks and cake, but I just wasn’t into that. I wanted it to be dark by the time we had our first dance.

I did save money in other ways.

I made our flower arrangements with silk flowers, which is cool because I still have my bouquet. Some family did complain that my church arrangements were “too small” but they didn’t offer to buy me others, so I used what I made and I was happy with them.

I used votive and tealight candles that I found cheap here and there-for the centerpieces, and I sprinkled little fall leaf paper punches on the tables and put the candles on silk fall leaves in the center of the tables. The reception hall provided colored linens. It looked very nice coming into the hall with candles flickering. (And we left the church as soon as we could so I could get over there first and make sure everything was right. Don’t you dislike waiting for the couple to finally show up so the reception can start?)

I had a friend from high school who got her AA in photography do our pictures. They weren’t as great as some, but she only charged $350 including prints and got some wonderful pictures. One picture in particular was worth it.

BIL was our DJ-we pre-mixed our cd’s and brought in our own sound equip. That way we had what we wanted playing and nothing else.

We did not hire any drivers or fancy cars.

In all, we spent our money on what we wanted on not on what wasn’t super important. Oh, and yes we skipped the wedding planner-that would have been annoying. My word. I even remember going over to turn some of the lights off in the hall at different points-first to dim it a little so the candles showed up, and again for that darkened dance atmosphere. I didn’t need some lady in the corner doing that for me.

Oh it was a nice day. Wish we could do it all over again. I think I’ll put on my wedding gown (that I did not trash) and dance around with dh when he gets home. :slight_smile:

I’ve thought about doing that once I get to my goal weight. I got pregnant right after our wedding and immediately put on a lot of weight. So, our wedding day was the last time I was that skinny.

Maybe if I get to my goal by our anniversary (Nov 23) I’ll surprise DH when he gets home. :smiley:

We really have a sick culture in this regard. I’m going to have a hard time since I have three girls! They’re going to hate me. I think I’m gonna have to make 'em an offer: I’ll pay for a big tent in my backyard, some classy (!) Portillos catering, Costco flowers and cake, clearance dress, a shiny new iPod (and borrow my hifi), a half barrel, mom takes great photos with her SLR, a few nice liquor selections and a buddy of mine for a bartender. If they go for that, I pay the cost of their first kid’s catholic school education K-8.

I’ll pay more, but IMO its money MUCH better spent. And I buy more time to save up for it! :thumbsup:

Manualman, manualman! You live in God’s own country, the Collar Counties. You can reserve the Forest Preserves if you go wait on line at the county of choice (more toilets). You can have Lee n Eddie’s leeandeddies.com/cm_3-Entree_taylor.asp?img=052cater with the corporate rate and not the wedding rate. :wink: Unless you want to spring for the extra buck and include one more entree. Either way, all the tableware, etc. is included. Golden chicken, italian beef and sweet peppers, pasta with sausage and gravy, five salads, a fruit plate, jello, buns, butter and rolls, all for $7.95 a head, 50 head minimum.

Woodman’s, Binny’s and Aldi (yes, Aldi) have nice liquor sections at really good prices.

On the other hand- If you tell each girl $xxxx, they have to pay for anything not within the $xxxx, and they have to do most of the work on it, you will have a much better time of it. Your wife will also be happier.

And I pray you won’t be glaring over a pizza at D’Ag’s at your son-in-law who lalala’d with your daughter, the result of which willbe due soon.

We (DH and I) spent very little on our wedding, but it turned out very pretty (sometimes less is more, you know?). no bridesmaids, no groomsmen, no flowergirl/ringboy to steal the show, just us and the preacher. we asked our siblings to light candles and serve as ushers. for decorations we used several big ferns, a LOT of off white pillar candles in different sizes, nearly 100 actually and a few vases of fresh flower arrangements. my cousin robbed her neighbors yard, her parents and my grandmas yard and the road ditches for all the flowers for arrangements and my boquet. my invites were a gift from a friend, the cake was a gift from a relative. i cut out several unnecessicary things like pew bows (huge pet peeve) corsages/bouttoneers (what guy wants a flower in his face anyway?) i gave each of the mothers/grandmothers hankeys that had pretty embroidery on them instead. something they could keep and even reuse if they wanted. 2 friends did the photography as gifts, centerpieces were double sided picture frames w/ photos of dh and I having fun w/ friends. I decorated a table in the entryway of the church with pictures from our parents/ancestors wedding days in fancy frames, got lots of compliments on that one. as for the reception, we roasted a hog (easy to do when you’ve got relatives who own a hog farm!). we asked close friends/family if they would bring a dish of some sort instead of a gift, and everyone was more than happy to help. i know it may seem rude to do that, but everyone does it in our area, so its kind of customary i guess? anyway, we had a TON of food. we also borrowed ice cream makers from anyone we could think of and lined up 12 ice cream makers full of wonderful homemade ice cream (yummy). it was kind of funny to see that many together. it was loud too! the reception was on my families farm. DH and I arrived at the reception on an antique tractor that he restored in high school. my dress was originally $900, but i got it for $400 b/c it had a rip around the waist of the skirt (it was 2 pieces). i ended up heming it from the top instead of the bottom and the rip was hidden under my corset top. all the men wore dark suit with white shirts and gold ties and the sisters went to the mall and picked out dresses that looked good together.

big weddings are nice, but owning our own home and farm was much more important to my husband and I.

I spent about 6,000 on my daughter’s wedding. A few weeks afterward, she said that she’d really rather have had the money.
Sigh. I told her that beforehand but she wouldn’t listen:rolleyes:

Weddings cost way too much. If I ever marry again which is doubtful, I will put on my good dress, pick some flowers, meet my DH to be at the church and then go out for a nice dinner.

WHEN OUR OLDEST SON MARRIED IN 2000 …

MY DH & I PD FOR 99% OF EVERYTHING; WEDDING, RECEPTION, ITEMS THEY NEEDED TO START MARRIED LIFE WITH. WE SPENT $2,000 TOTAL FOR EVERYTHING:

BECAUSE THE WEDDING WAS ‘MOVED UP’ SIX MONTHS & WE HAD THREE WEEKS TO GET EVERYTHING READY, WE WERN’T ABLE TO MAKE HER GOWN. FORTUNATELY WE WERE ABLE TO RETURN THE FABRIC, BEADS, NETTING, ETC.

WE KEPT THE FABRIC FOR THE MAID OF HONOR / BRIDESMAIDS GOWNS. ONE OF MY H.S. FRIENDS {LIVES NEAR US} & I MADE THOSE. SOME OF MY FRIENDS HELPED US CUT OUT THE FABRICS. THE DRESS MAKING WAS MY FRIEND’S /HER HUBBY’S GIFT TO THE KIDS. SHE SPENT MORE HOURS ON THOSE THAN I DID!! WE WORKED ON THEM AFTER WE FINISHED WORK & ON WEEKENDS.

MY OTHER CO-WORKER FRIEND & I MADE/ DECORATED ALL THE CAKES; ONE 3-TIER & 10 SMALL HEART- SHAPED ONES OF VARIOUS ‘FLAVORS’ [400 GUESTS INVITED … MOSTLY FAMILY!]. MY DH & I BOUGHT ALL THE ITEMS TO MAKE THEM. WITH THIS TOO, TIME AFTER WORK & ON WEEKENDS WAS SPENT TO GET THESE PREPARED. HER DOING THIS WAS HER/HER HUSBAND’S GIFT TO THE KIDS.

I TOOK OUR D-I-L TO GET HER GOWN; WE WERE ABLE TO FIND ONE WITH A 12-FT LONG BEADED TRAIN LIKE THE ORIGINAL ONE WAS GOING TO HAVE; GOT IT FOR $180. GOT HER VEIL AT ANOTHER PLACE THAT MATCHED IT PRETTY GOOD FOR $25. THE SHOES WERE $40 BUT, OH WELL … THEY MATCHED THE GOWN & VEIL WITH ALL THE BEADS ON THEM TOO.

WE HAD OUR SON’S TUX, MY DH’S TUX, & OUR OTHER SON’S TUXES TO PAY RENT ON $75 EACH]. MY MOTHER- OF-THE-GROOM DRESS WAS KNEE-LENGTH [FOR DAY WEDDING] WITH A MATCHING JACKET & WAS BEAUTIFULLY EMBROIDERED ON THE FRONT OF IT FOR $35 AT THE OUTLET MALL. I HAD WORN IT ON A FEW MORE OCCASIONS AFTER THAT. I STILL HAVE IT ;JUST HAVE TO LOSE WEIGHT TO FIT BACK IN TO IT! BUT IT IS TOO GORGEOUS TO GIVE AWAY! [ONE DAY … :whistle: ]

WE BOUGHT ALL THE TABLE WEAR / PAPER TABLE COVERINGS / RECEPTION DECORATIONS / ETC. AT A DISCOUNT STORE. FOR THE CENTERPIECES, WE GOT ITEMS THAT WERE ON SALE AT THE ‘MICHAELS CRAFTS’ STORE & HER FAMILY MADE THOSE.

VARIOUS MEMBERS OF HER CLOSE FAMILY DONATED ALL THE FOOD. WE ALSO DONATED A HUGE TURKEY FOR IT THAT WE HAD IN OUR FREEZER. THEY COOKED ALL THE FOOD/SERVED IT. I HELPED SERVE THE CAKE.

WE PAID $350 FOR THE FIRE HALL & DECORATED/ CLEANED IT UP AFTER THE RECEPTION OURSELVES.

WE PAID FOR THE USE OF THE CHURCH THEY WERE MARRIED IN, THE PASTOR’S FEE, & THE ORGANIST’S FEE [HE SANG AS WELL].

THE WEDDING INVITATIONS/ THANK YOU CARDS / RSVP’s WERE IN A KIT FROM STAPLES; WE DID THOSE OURSELVES ON THE COMPUTER. BECAUSE THERE WERE 400 FAMILY … MY MOM HAD 10 SIBLINGS - WHO HAD A NUMBER OF CHILDREN - LOL … / FRIENDS SO THIS EXPENSE WAS LARGE DUE TO ALL THE STAMPS WE HAD TO USE.

WE BOUGHT A NEW BED WITH MATTRESS FOR THEM, A USED CRIB , & USED DRESSERS FOR BOTH THEM / THE COMING BABY.

MY DH’s B-I-L & SISTER TOOK THE PICTURES [AS THEY DID FOR OUR WEDDING!] AND THEIR SON DID THE VIDEO. THESE WERE THEIR WEDDING GIFTS TO THE KIDS IN LIEU OF A WEDDING GIFT ITEM.

THE DJ THE KIDS FOUND. HE WAS $300.

THEY LIVED WITH US RENT/ETC.FREE FOR ALMOST 5 MONTHS AFTER THEY MARRIED. OUR D-I-L,@ 19 YRS OLD, HAD 3 1/2 MONTHS BEFORE GRADUATING H.S., & HAD ALREADY HAD A P/T JOB AFTER SCHOOL FOR A YEAR BEFORE THEIR MARRIAGE. OUR SON JUST HAD RECEIVED HIS A.S. DEGREE DEC. '99 - AND WORKED F/T AT A WALMART AFTER SCHOOL HOURS - AND WAS ABLE TO FIND IMMEDIATELY A [LOW- PAYING] JOB THAT REQUIRED THAT TYPE OF DEGREE.

NOT LONG AFTER THE WEDDING, OUR SON & D-I-L PAID US BACK $700 [FOR THE BED & DJ] 'CAUSE, THEY SAID WE DID SO MUCH FOR THEM / WERE ALWAYS THERE FOR THEM 100+ % OF THE WAY TO HELP SUPPORT THEM THROUGH THAT TIME.

DID I FORGET ANYTHING?? LOL

THE WEDDING WAS FABULOUS, THE KIDS LOOKED FANTASTIC, & A GREAT TIME WAS HAD BY ALL!

THEIR 8th WEDDING ANNIVERSARY IS IN 4 1/2 MONTHS … 2 WEEKS AFTER OUR 32nd ANNIVERSARY.

IT’S LIKE DEJAVU …

THEY MET & BEGAN TO DATE WHEN OUR D-I-L WAS IN 8TH GRADE & OUR SON WAS IN 10TH GRADE. THEY BROKE UP ONLY ONCE IN ALL THE TIME THEY’VE BEEN TOGETHER AS A COUPLE … & ONLY FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS … WHEN OUR D-I-L WAS IN ABOUT 11th GRADE. THEY NOW HAVE A 12 YEAR HISTORY TOGETHER AT AGES 26 1/2 & SOON-TO-BE 28 YRS OLD.

THE DEJAVU PART? …

I CHASED MY DH WHEN I WAS IN 8TH GRADE AND HE WAS IN 10TH GRADE … ‘CAUGHT’ HIM WHEN I WAS 15 THROUGH 16 1/2 YRS OLD, THEN HE WENT OFF TO COLLEGE AND BROKE IT OFF. BUT WHEN I WAS 17 1/2 WE WERE BACK DATING AGAIN. THEN I WENT OFF TO SCHOOL AND WE WERE ON AGAIN/OFF AGAIN FOR VERY SHORT PERIODS OF TIME ABOUT FOUR TIMES, THEN WE MARRIED WHEN I WAS 19 3/4 AND HE WAS 21 1/4 YRS OLD. [BUT … I SLEPT IN HIS BABY BASSINET WHEN MY PARENTS BROUGHT ME HOME!:smiley: ]

THEIR FIRST CHILD WAS A GIRL; SO WAS OURS. THEIR SECOND CHILD THEY LOST IN A MISCARRIAGE. BUT THEIR THIRD CHILD WAS A BOY; OUR SECOND CHILD WAS THIS SON. [THEIR 3rd BABY WAS A GIRL; OURS A BOY.]

I’ve taken the modern route of paying for it myself. I think my parents have done so much for me already that they should be honored guests, not paying hosts. I would feel bad! lol

The breakdown so far:

1600 church
500 choir/organ/cantor
3000 catering for 300ppl. (our rental site only allows “approved caterers” and we had to use their service, linens, equipment, etc. blah)
2500 museum rental
200 wedding dress
300 dj
500 invitations (including shower and thankyous)
500 bridesmaid dresses, flowergirl dresses, ringbearer tux, all bridal party accessories…shoes, jewelry, veil, jackets, etc.

My aunt is a professional photographer so she is doing that, Df’s grandma is a prof cake maker so she is doing that, my friend has her own wedding decorating business so she is taking care of all the pews, the altar, centerpieces, tables and chairs, lighting and flowers. They are all offering to do these things for free as a wedding gift.

Our honeymoon is a 3 day 2 night in the bahamas free (we sat through a timeshare) and then we have 8 days 7 nights in the states free because we went with a specific tux rental agency. We’ll probably do California or Florida.

Your mother should be so proud of you!!! You are a fabulous tightwad!!! Brava, haskilee, brava!!!

That is a great idea! And I’m in your shoes…but first anniversary has gone and passed, so maybe another special day…:slight_smile:

The main problem is we went with the city museum for out reception site. They won’t let any alcohol on premises unless it’s through the caterers. That would take our reception cost to $8000. :eek:

I haven’t figured that part out yet!

And praise God for ebay!

We didn’t spend much, I think DH and I spent about $500 and my parents paid for the rest wich would sum up to a max of $2000 but I think that a bit too much for the kind of wedding we had. We did the invitations electronically and I called everyone to make sure they were coming. Most of my family (extended family) pitched in. They were all wonderful and even though I never got the wedding I wanted (a Church wedding) I am married thru the CC. Maybe later on we will have a renewal of our vows and make that our official Church wedding. I always wanted to walk down the isle…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.