What differences does it make?

Why not lead a simple, comfortable, mediocre life? Why does God set the standard high? Why not ignore teaching or passages in the bible and only follow those which are convenient? Besides, you have free-will, you honestly do not have to do anything. If you ignore your enemies, you are not loving them or hating them. If you use protection, you probably will not face the consequences of pre-marital sex. Is downloading music illegally still theft, you can get away with it besides other do it? If you are not completely bad like a criminal or commit serious enough sins that it is detrimental to your life. Some sins are socially acceptable. God even forgives the worst of sinners. I think the hardest people to change are those that are convinced they are good enough because they remain complacent. If you can get along well in this life, why strive for perfection? If you are smart about it and moderate, you can get away with any sin, right just avoid the extremes? God love us regardless of what we do, so why try? Pray only when you need help. Go to church only on important days. The heart is more important, then any duties.

Because you are, in the last analysis, the gift that you give not only to God, but to yourself at the end of this life. And why should you have mediocre gifts? Why not have the very best? The “you” you create on this earth is the “you” that you will be living with for the rest of eternity.

If you think like this & shut yourself off from your fellow-man & the less fortunate of the world (like so many modern-day ‘christians’) then you are not a follower of Christ.
Your entire perspective on life is self-centred. You are here to make a difference to others - even a cold drink to the squalid hustler. A life concentrated on ‘me & mine’ is not acceptable to God. You will have had your reward in this life.

*'Am I my brother’s keeper…? *
Yes, even if he is an Islamic terrorist, a drug-addict, a pedophile…whatever; the lowest of God’s creatures, you are responsible for him. You must show him kindness, help and lead him to the light. In saving others you save yourself.

You seem to have totally misunderstood the message of Jesus. So stop navel-gazing and look at the suffering & inhumanity in the real world. 1% reap the benefits of the other 99%. You need to give a little in return. Once we stop thinking only of ourselves but rather of the less fortunate, then once more we find the true purpose and meaning to our life.

What difference? God has already spoken about this, and in the harshest of terms.

Revelation 3:14-19

14 “And to the angel of the church in La-odice′a write: ‘The words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of God’s creation.
**15 “‘I know your works: you are neither cold nor hot. Would that you were cold or hot! 16 So, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spew you out of my mouth. 17 For you say, I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing; not knowing that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked. ** 18 Therefore I counsel you to buy from me gold refined by fire, that you may be rich, and white garments to clothe you and to keep the shame of your nakedness from being seen, and salve to anoint your eyes, that you may see. 19 Those whom I love, I reprove and chasten; so be zealous and repent.

God has given you gifts to use in the furtherance of his Kingdom. By sitting on your comfortable rump you are neglecting those gifts. You are no better than the slothful servant in the Parable of the Three Servants.

Matthew 25:18, 24-30

18 But he who had received the one talent went and dug in the ground and hid his master’s money.

24 He also who had received the one talent came forward, saying, ‘Master, I knew you to be a hard man, reaping where you did not sow, and gathering where you did not winnow; 25 so I was afraid, and I went and hid your talent in the ground. Here you have what is yours.’ 26 But his master answered him, ‘You wicked and slothful servant! You knew that I reap where I have not sowed, and gather where I have not winnowed? 27 Then you ought to have invested my money with the bankers, and at my coming I should have received what was my own with interest. 28 So take the talent from him, and give it to him who has the ten talents. 29 For to every one who has will more be given, and he will have abundance; but from him who has not, even what he has will be taken away. 30 And cast the worthless servant into the outer darkness; there men will weep and gnash their teeth.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Then I am going ahead with my bucket list, for it is a good one; just perfect, in fact!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.