What Do Catholics Really Believe?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------So Here is a list to HELP you understand

The following are the correct views of what the Catholic Church really teaches.

Salvation comes through Christ and His work of redemption. There is no other way.
Christ established the church as a unified, visible institution composed of believers, the “body of Christ.” This is, of course, the Catholic Church.
The mission of the church is (1) to provide correct doctrine and fight heresy, (2) to provide unity among believers, and (3) to provide for the sacramental blessings.
Doctrine has developed over the centuries and that is what God intended.
The Protestant “reformers” in their zeal to address the corruption of church leaders went too far and corrupted essential doctrines such as the nature of sin, salvation, and the church. This destroyed the unity of the church that Christ intended which is evidenced by the continuing splintering and fragmenting of the Protestant denominations, each having their own particular doctrinal distinctives which contradict one another. How can we believe any of these?
The Catholic Church does not teach Catholics to worship Mary or the Saints, nor to worship idols.
The Early Church Fathers accurately received correct doctrine and passed it on to the next generation.
Even Protestants accept certain Catholic doctrinal formulations, for example, the Trinity.
Catholics do not believe in salvation by works.
Catholics do not believe that Protestants are unsaved.
Catholics do not believe that membership in the Catholic Church guarantees salvation.
Catholics look to the Church Fathers for the understanding of certain truths as do Protestants. Examples are (1) the list of books in the Canon, (2) the doctrine of the inerrancy of the Bible, and (3) the formulation of the Trinity. The difference is that Protestants pretend that they don’t consider the Church Fathers as authoritative even though they really do in these important issues.
The Catholic Church is the true church as established by Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit. Protestant denominations are the “separated brethren” because they have separated themselves from the one true church.
Protestants must believe that the first generation of Church Fathers after the apostles fell into apostasy and that this apostasy continued until the time of Martin Luther who restored the true teachings of Christ. If this is true then why don’t all Protestants become Lutherans since this is the church that Luther founded? And why do most Protestants deny many of the teachings of Luther if he was so wise or anointed by God to be the one person in 1,500 years who finally properly understood the Bible’s teaching? For example, Luther, Calvin and other reformers believed the same basic doctrines concerning Mary that the Catholic Church does.
When Jesus Christ came into this physical universe He imbued it with His Divine essence in a very real and mystical sense. Catholics seek to experience the divinity of Christ and use the various symbols, icons and other religious artifacts to assist. Catholics do not worship any of these things but worship the God who is represented in them.
The Bible is inerrant.
The Bible cannot be properly interpreted without an divinely-sanctioned interpretation authority (which is the Catholic Church). Protestants dispute this point, but if they were correct then all Protestants would agree on the proper interpretation of the Bible. Of course, they don’t agree at all, and each denomination has its own particular interpretations and set of doctrines and all claim that their own particular interpretation is the true, biblically based one.
When Jesus said, “this is my body,” He meant it. This provides the basis for the Eucharist. Catholics have a different perspective about what the words of Jesus mean – they believe His words are absolutely true in their very essence. In contrast, Protestants believe that Jesus is merely teaching principles of truth which we can apply in our lives. This robs Christ of His divinity and holiness.
Church leaders, including the pope, are human and subject to the same weaknesses and fallibility as anyone else. This accounts for the historical problems with the church. But just as the God-ordained, Old Testament nation of Israel was God’s true institution even though the leaders became corrupt, so the Catholic Church is the true church. The working and indwelling of Holy Spirit in the church guarantees that it will be free from error in matters of faith and morals, and this includes doctrinal formulations.
The church is free to change the rules regarding the practice of the church. These things are not absolute and unchanging as we see in the New Testament church, which went through three stages within that short time period.

Actually, there are a few discrepancies. However, they don’t appear to be of consequence … and don’t affect the key teaching of Church.

I thought this was a post about what Catholics believe…not what Catholics believe and what I think Protestants believe.

The Catholic belief part of it is well done though.

So what does the Catholic Church teach about those same Protestants that are former Catholics who flatly reject its authority and many of its teachings?

Jesus Believe in SS,show me from the Bible the teaching was not around unti about 1500,

Bill,
You appear to have Catholic teaching down, from what Catholics here say. Some of what you say about the reformation, however, is baloney. Some is true. Just some thoughts.

=Bill Pick;5337063]
The Protestant “reformers” in their zeal to address the corruption of church leaders went too far and corrupted essential doctrines such as the nature of sin, salvation, and the church. This destroyed the unity of the church that Christ intended which is evidenced by the continuing splintering and fragmenting of the Protestant denominations, each having their own particular doctrinal distinctives which contradict one another. How can we believe any of these?

You may be right that there was too much zeal - on both sides. Lutherans believe, however, that corruption of the essential doctrines you mention came more from the corrupt leaders of that time than anything Luther or Melanchton did. In genreal terms, the Orthodox would agree with us that it was Rome that corrupted the nature of the Church, at least to some degree. As for the oft-mentioned splintering of Protestantism, as a catholic of the Augsburg Confession, I don’t believe any of them, either.

Catholics look to the Church Fathers for the understanding of certain truths as do Protestants. Examples are (1) the list of books in the Canon, (2) the doctrine of the inerrancy of the Bible, and (3) the formulation of the Trinity. The difference is that Protestants pretend that they don’t consider the Church Fathers as authoritative even though they really do in these important issues.

The Lutheran Confessions often quote the ECF’s as authority in matters of doctrine. In the conclusion to Augsburg, the writers state;

Only those things have been recounted whereof we thought that it was necessary to speak, in order that it might be understood that in doctrine and ceremonies nothing has been received on our part against Scripture or the Church Catholic. For it is manifest that we have taken most diligent care that no new and ungodly doctrine should creep into our churches.

Protestant denominations are the “separated brethren” because they have separated themselves from the one true church.

You are separated brethren as well, as separation goes both ways. We have equal responsibility to dialogue and reconciliation. Some might argue, that since you lay claim to be “the one true church”, that you hold an even greater responsibility.

Protestants must believe that the first generation of Church Fathers after the apostles fell into apostasy and that this apostasy continued until the time of Martin Luther who restored the true teachings of Christ.

This is nonsense. Please name a source where Luther said that the Church fell into apostasy immediately after the apostolic era. Name a Lutheran source that makes such a claim.

If this is true then why don’t all Protestants become Lutherans since this is the church that Luther founded? And why do most Protestants deny many of the teachings of Luther if he was so wise or anointed by God to be the one person in 1,500 years who finally properly understood the Bible’s teaching

Once again, nonsense. There is no such thing as “the Protestant Church”. Luther did not “found” a Church. His attempt was to reform the Catholic Church. Other Protestant churches did not grow out of the evangelical catholic reformation, they were their own independent movements. IOW, Calvinism, Baptists, etc., are not splinters of the Lutheran Church.

The Bible cannot be properly interpreted without an divinely-sanctioned interpretation authority (which is the Catholic Church). Protestants dispute this point, but if they were correct then all Protestants would agree on the proper interpretation of the Bible. Of course, they don’t agree at all, and each denomination has its own particular interpretations and set of doctrines and all claim that their own particular interpretation is the true, biblically based one.

Why?

When Jesus said, “this is my body,” He meant it. This provides the basis for the Eucharist. Catholics have a different perspective about what the words of Jesus mean – they believe His words are absolutely true in their very essence. In contrast, **Protestants believe that Jesus is merely teaching principles of truth which we can apply in our lives. **This robs Christ of His divinity and holiness.

Do you have a source for this? Because Lutherans believe “His words are absolutely true in their very essence”.

This would have been a much better thread had you stuck to what Catholics believe, and didn’t try to tell me what I believe.

Jon

Well, except that the Catholic church taught for centuries that there was no Salvation outside the Catholic church in which I truly believe this myself.

Jon, how do you get that we are “seperated brethren” as well when we never ever left the CC? You are not part of the Body of Christ. You ARE seperated as Bill says.

We are each separated from the other.

Jon

Please !!! This is what divides us. We all know the Church would love nothing more than to realize true Ecumenism of all Christians worldwide.

Father Corapi teaches that he has many Christian Protestant brethren. Would he be happier if they discovered the fullness of Catholic Church?

Indeed, but … consider Michael Useff, John MacArthur, Chuck Swendoll, David Jeremiah, etc. There are many sincere Protestant Pastors who are advancing the cause of Christ, doing great works in his name, and introducing millions to the Gospel.

Christ’s Apostles came to him and asked about those other disciples who were preaching the gospel, doing good works, etc. He told them not to worry about these other prophets, etc. Christ indicated he had ‘other sheep’, outside the Catholic Fold.

Anyone doing good in name of Christ is being used and blessed of God. Much good is today being done by modern day non-Catholic Christians.

Do you mean “teaches”. If you are saying they taught something different now, that would mean…:eek::smiley:

Cite your source Mr. Pick
northforest.org/CatholicApologetics/Teaches.html

IT IS WRITTEN is about the Sacred Scriptures of OT. The New Testament, which never says SOLA SCRIPTURA and couldn’t say ‘it is written’ because it wasn’t until later, says the church is the pillar and foundation of the truth and that scripture is good and serves a noble purpose.

Most Protestants, it seems, have a personal understanding of all scripture, which is not biblical. And they always appear to be doubting every single Catholic Church understanding. So these self-proclaimed holy people interpret the bible as they see it through the guidance of the Spirit, which they believe they have the fullness of Spirit and that their interpretation is the Gospel truth as do each and every other Protestant who feel the same way. But, somehow all the interpretations differ a liitle. How come.? I don’t know, but I do know that there is only one truth so again. how come so many interpretations? And again, I say I don’t know.

I am not trying to be mean. I am just trying to call it as I see it.

May God bless us always.

jpaul1953

Self proclaimed holy people?:rolleyes:
Get out much or just watch a lot of TBN?
I will pose the same question to you. Why do all the groups who adhere to tradition and scripture not agree?

No this isn’t what divides us. your interpretation OF THE BIBLE along with your glorious reformers divides us. And yes I do believe there is no Salvation outside the Catholic church. This WAS what the church taught for centuries, as what Jesus Himself taught.

We believe in the “TRUTH” as laid down by Christ and what the Holy Spirit has revealed. I know that this is the short answer.

Stouts: What passage in scripture are you referring when you say " it is written". How do you deal with the problem of the indeterminancy of written language and the presumption that divine revelation is something that needs to have a level of certainty that written language cannot possible communicate-God Bless

can we start with the Catechism of the Cathloic Church

The Church teaches that people who are not members of the Church can be saved if inflicted with “invincible ignorance”. i have always thought that those who left the church were a lot more at risk than those who were never members.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.