What do I do now that my bishop ordains women?

The Santa Barbara bishop has ordained two women as priests and they have a church in Carpinteria, I believe. Obvioulsy, the Vatican is not behind this move. Are the other churches, though under this bishop, still in good standing and is the Eucharist still valid, such as at Our Lady of Mt. Carmel in Santa Barbara?

There is no Roman Catholic “Bishop of Santa Barbara.” Santa Barbara, California, is in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Los Angeles, which is under the leadership of Archbishop Jose H. Gomez. There is an auxiliary bishop of the Archdiocese who oversees the area of the Archdiocese in which Santa Barbara is located, but there is no evidence that he or any other bishop in that Archdiocese would dream of ordaining women, especially without the knowledge and consent of the ordinary (the Archbishop).

I suspect that the bishop to whom you refer is not a Roman Catholic bishop. Perhaps he is a Protestant bishop or a bishop with a schismatic Catholic group, but I very much doubt that he has any affiliation with or authority granted by the Archdiocese of Los Angeles. If you like, you can contact the Archdiocese and find out who this bishop is and confirm that he has no standing with the Archdiocese.

If this bishop has no standing with the Archdiocese of Los Angeles, then his actions in no way reflect upon or affect the standing of Roman Catholic parishes in that area.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.