What do I do regarding a possible religious vocation?

Dear Apologist,

I have been wondering for a while now if I am being called to religious life. So recently I e-mailed a Carmelite convent and I was invited there but I’m not sure how to reply because I don’t feel ready to go yet. I don’t want to be rude to the prioress by not going but I feel I am not ready yet and I’m not sure how my family would feel so what should I do?

Dear friend,

There is no reason to panic. If you were interested enough to write to the Carmelites, then it makes complete sense to visit them. What are you afraid of? They will not keep you there against your will. Most people who visit like that do not end up entering. Only a fraction do.
The prioress will not be hurt if you tell her that you want to wait awhile. You don’t mention how old you are. But decisions concerning how one will go about living one’s adult life belong solely to God and to the one making the decision. Even if your family is against your entering, you need to do whatever the Lord is asking of you.

You are in our prayers.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.