What do I do when I'm worried about getting into heaven?

Hello,

I am worried about getting into Heaven between confessions. I know that souls have perished because of “one” mortal sin.

I try to get to confession every two weeks. I “always” commit a mortal sin in between confessions.

What if I die between confessions?

Please help,
Mike

Hi Mike,

No one “always” has to commit a mortal sin. Ordinarily there are ways of avoiding the temptations that pull us toward sinful behavior. But first, we need to be motivated. Sin, after all is an action or actions that betray the love that Jesus has for us. I suggest that before all else, you spend some time each day looking at a crucifix and thanking Him for each of the sufferings He endured for us. Such consideration puts everything else in our lives into perspective. Then ask Him for the strength to be faithful to Him. Then avoid those thoughts and fantasies that tempt you. Make it a habit to just not go there in your mind.

If you should still fall into sin, go to Confession as soon as possible. Do not wait two weeks! I also suggest that you start spending some time before Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament. Also pray the rosary daily. Being a Christian means much more that just avoiding sin. It’s mainly about loving the One who love us the most.

You are in my prayers.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.