What do I do when my daughter claims to be gay?

My oldest daughter, came to me and stated that she believes that she is gay.While I have had my fears over the years, this was the confirmation I feared.She came to me in tears, and said that she was afraid that I would stop loving her.She felt this way, because over the years I have tried to explain to all of my children that this is against Gods plan. I explained to her, that there is nothing she could do that would make me stop loving her, but that again, this is not Gods plan for us. She said that she could not believe that a loving God would expect her to go through life without love. This is breaking my heart, and I do not know how to get through to her.I can not condone that life style, but she is over 20 years and away at college. I dont understand why there is so much of this now,I know that when I was younger, there were always people you could tell that they might be gay, but it was the exception. I dont know where to go, or what to do. She did attend a Catholic school for her 1st 6 years of school, and then went to a public school, She does
not attend church, and I am not certain where she stands in her faith, well I guess I do. I also explained to her, that just because you want to believe that God is alright with your choices, it does not make it ok. It is hard to explain when other religons, are more accepting of this life style to the point of them being a part of their clergy. But again, just because you want something to be ok, it does not make it ok. I could use some advise, I am afraid that if I push too hard I will lose her, but I am afraid if I dont she will be lost.

Thank you

These links should be helpful for responding to your child’s announcement of same-sex attraction. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by these links, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:

What should a parent of a gay child do?
How do I deal with my lesbian daughter?
How do I tell my parents I am gay?

Homosexuality
I am a homosexual–am I a Catholic?
What is the role of a homosexual person in the Catholic Church?
Is homosexuality a sin even if you do not perform the act?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.