What do I do when my teen "doesn't believe" in the Real Presence?

My 13 yo dd just informed me last night that she doesn’t believe that the bread and wine is really changed. While I am heartsick over her disclosure, I am hoping that this is just a phase. Most of her friends are Christian, not Catholic and I suspect that this statement may have come from conversations with her friends and she is questioning her faith versus theirs.

My question is, do I allow her to receive Communion? It is sacrilege for her to receive while in a nonbelieving state? Or should she continue to receive the graces from the Sacrament in an effort to strenghen her faith and help ward off the devil?

Here we are on Good Friday, and I don’t know if I should allow her to receive Communion on Easter.

Hi,

I wouldn’t take it very seriously. Thirteen-year-olds are thirteen-year-olds. You need to have her come up with some cogent reasons as to why the Catholic Church has been wrong for over 2000 years. Good Luck!

This section of catholic.com deals with the Real Presence and backs it up with the early Church Fathers and Scripture:

catholic.com/library/sacraments.asp

She needs the Eucharist now more than ever. Don’t push her away from it. She needs some new friends. Introduce her to “Life on the Rock” on EWTN.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.